Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Orbiting Flagstaff

We have bigger pike than this, eh?

This interesting little piece showed up in my Inbox this morning and I was a bit surprised to read the world record pike on a fly is under 30 pounds. Now I know that's a lot of fish, but...I'll bet there is more than one 30 lb plus pike in both Lake Mary and Ashurst. Seems like a bunch of itinerate fly chuckers like the ones found on this site could put a serious hurt on that minnow from Montana. Remember, the current state record is a 32+lb'er from Ashurst; on a fly it would have apparently been a new world record...go figure!

Giant Montana Northern Pike Could Set Record
5/3/2010

A fisheries biologist with Montana Fish, Wildlife and parks says a Kalispell angler has likely set a world record for northern pike caught by fly fishing after hauling in a 29.74-pound, 47-inch-long fish.
KALISPELL, Mont. (AP) A fisheries biologist with Montana Fish, Wildlife and parks says a Kalispell angler has likely set a world record for northern pike caught by fly fishing after hauling in a 29.74-pound, 47-inch-long fish.

Mark Deleray says the fish caught by 28-year-old Ivan Keeney at Smith Lake on Thursday exceeds the size of other pike caught fly fishing listed by the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame.

A spokeswoman at the Hall of Fame on Saturday said the current world record for northern pike caught fly fishing is a 28-pound, 4-ounce fish.

She says the Hall of Fame hasn't yet received an official application for Keeney's fish.

Keeney says he spent an hour battling the fish, keeping up with it in his canoe so he didn't run out of line.

Keeney says he's having the fish mounted.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Simi Seal Connoisseur

Note to self, don't shorefish for pike anymore. Stay in that tube in case one of those big mommas rolls through Still how would I keep up in a tube do you think that sucker could drag me without breaking 30 lb test leader?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Founding Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushthezeppelin View Post
Note to self, don't shorefish for pike anymore. Stay in that tube in case one of those big mommas rolls through Still how would I keep up in a tube do you think that sucker could drag me without breaking 30 lb test leader?
Probably snap a knot or break your rod before it broke 30lb mono
Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Simi Seal Connoisseur

Hmmmm perhaps I'll bring my yak to ULM next time. I can get some good speed in that thing if I have to and it can be dragged a we bit easier than a float tube with legs sticking out.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I steal Avatars!

Those Big Boyz have no problem biting right through 30 pnd hard mono. Steel leaders from here on out for me...

Josh
Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Sophomoric Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
Those Big Boyz have no problem biting right through 30 pnd hard mono. Steel leaders from here on out for me...

Josh
Just picked up a wire leader. Let's get it on!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I steal Avatars!

Last weekend I had a big something or other put a 180 degree bend in my XI2 7wt and clean cut what was actually 40# hard mono... I have been day dreaming about another round with that over sized snot rocket ever since. Next time i'm coming prepared!