Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
FJ Cruiser

Gilbert Pond???

Has anyone fished the pond over by Gilbert Civic Center. I've heard it's catch and release only, barbless hooks. But it seems I cannot find the info on it again. Just wondering...
Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 PM

Draggin this one up!

I was digging around for information about this pond today and drug up this post, posted exactly 5 years ago.

I volunteer with Phoenix Project Healing Waters and we have an outing scheduled for this pond on Saturday. So I decided to go scout it out today and see what was working.

Nothing was, at all. I saw no indication of any fish in there either. The water was inky black, I could only see my bright green fly line to about 6 inches into the water. I tried everything I know works in ponds for bass, blue gill and trout, nothing. With as warm as it has been lately if there were warm water fish in there I should have been able to catch one, or at least get a couple bites.

The only information I can find about any fish in this pond is an article from 2006 talking about a Judge and and Fire chief who got game and fish to put some trout in there. Nothing follows.

Any one have any idea if those stockings continued, or if any other fish were ever put in there? Thanks and good luck out there!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 PM

The Gilbert Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch was recently designated as a Catch and Release fishery by the Town of Gilbert. (Sorry, I do not have the exact date handy) As such, the goal is to transition the water into a high quality local fishery over the coming seasons through clean-up/restoration and re-stocking to establish a maintainable and easily accessible fishery.

This process will take time. But hopefully, through responsible use, the Riparian should become a nice option here in the Valley.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
The Gilbert Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch was recently designated as a Catch and Release fishery by the Town of Gilbert. (Sorry, I do not have the exact date handy) As such, the goal is to transition the water into a high quality local fishery over the coming seasons through clean-up/restoration and re-stocking to establish a maintainable and easily accessible fishery.

This process will take time. But hopefully, through responsible use, the Riparian should become a nice option here in the Valley.
It is indeed, however the pond referred to here is the one right next the city hall and across from the courts and police office. Its a tiny little thing, can barely see it from Gilbert road and its only about 50 feet from it!

Last edited by Warrior63; 02-18-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:46 PM

Ah hah, and on that one I have no info. That's what I get for assuming.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 PM

Water Ranch is only catch and release for Bass and blue gill to clear things up. Its still put and take for catfish, Trout, and white Amur. Limits are 2 Cats, 2 Trout, and 1 Amur over 30". Single barbless hook is still a requirement for any of the fish in this pond. Back to your quesiton Judge Harris used to run a clinic for kids to learn how to fish from that pond. I think for them it was put and take, to get them hooked on fishing. What ever was left after the event was catch and release. I have caught a few trout, Amurs, and sunfish out of there about 3 or 4 years ago but quit fishing it after I went by one day and there where about 20 dead fish laying on the banks. Not sure if they are still doing this clinic if so there might be a few trout left in there. Just a warning a good day fishing there was 2-3 fish and thats why it was so easy to give up lol. Now that you have reminded me of it though I might swing back by and see whats up.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Ah hah, and on that one I have no info. That's what I get for assuming.
No worries good sir!

Jojackc;

I didn't find any indication of the clinic still going, last info I could find was from '12. I did get in touch with Judge Phares though and he said he would come out to our orientation and tell us what he knew about the pond. Since he didn't say there haven't been fish in there in a few years I take that as a good sign!

With 20+ people whipping the surface to a froth if there are still fish in there we should be able to get at least one, if we do i'll let you know. If nothing else there are plenty of aerators for casting practice!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:51 PM

Casting practice is about all its good for. I've fished it within the last 2 yrs and have never seen a fish in there. Game and Fish lists all of the waters that they stock on their website and this pond is never mentioned with regard to being stocked liked the other waters are. It simply lists the regulations.

Were fish ever put in there? Yes. Has it been stocked since that time? I doubt it. And I doubt there is anything in there still.

As far as trout go, there's no way a trout would survive through the summer in that pond. Trout would have to be restocked every winter just like the other community fishing waters. As indicated by Jojackc, I'm sure it's been 3-4yrs since there have been fish in there.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT View Post
Casting practice is about all its good for. I've fished it within the last 2 yrs and have never seen a fish in there. Game and Fish lists all of the waters that they stock on their website and this pond is never mentioned with regard to being stocked liked the other waters are. It simply lists the regulations.

Were fish ever put in there? Yes. Has it been stocked since that time? I doubt it. And I doubt there is anything in there still.

As far as trout go, there's no way a trout would survive through the summer in that pond. Trout would have to be restocked every winter just like the other community fishing waters. As indicated by Jojackc, I'm sure it's been 3-4yrs since there have been fish in there.

Hey SAT!

That was pretty much my thoughts too after fishing it. I searched and searched for info and there was nothing.

I was hoping there would be some good news, but after finding the judge and fire chief who had it stocked in the first place retired a few years ago I doubted there was any chance it continued. Oh well, will be good practice for the Vets!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:19 PM

Im down the road from the Water Ranch in Gilbert looks decent for practice casting with the chance of a sunfish or other warm water fish.
Ill try and hit it a few times and get a report on here in the future.