Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2017, 08:31 AM

Still Water Fishing

My preferred method of fishing for trout in lakes is to cast a nymph of some sort to rising fish. I also troll with larger subsurface patterns and switch to dry flies when necessary.

A few years ago, I met a lunker hunter angler who, in still water, uses a dry dropper or a strike indicator with a nymph below. He told me I would never catch them on a straight line method (casting to fish). I didn't respond but wanted to tell him about Del Canty's five world record fish he caught on the straight line method. I don't think the strike indicator/nymph method was around for lakes in the 1970s.

Which still water method is more productive in AZ? Is it a mix of both styles?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 PM

I've always had the best luck in still water when I am using an indicator with a midge/chronomid pattern 1-3 feet off the bottom. You need to be in a boat/float/Kayak to make the most of this set up since the amount of tippet and leader after the indicator can be pretty long (hard to cast far).I'll usually tie two Flies on to get them down faster. It sure isn't the most exciting fishing but it can be very effective certain times of year.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:36 AM

Stripped AZ Peacock Lady...my go to for stillwater fishing.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:29 AM

AaronA,

I've used something similar to your method on a few occasions but like most people, I'm a creature of habit; however, I did catch some trout on the dry dropper method.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:44 AM

About 50/50 for me. Fished some White Mountain stillwater this weekend, windy, I was missing some strikes as the strike indicator was bobbing so much. Switched to a slow strip and maybe did a little better. Not sure I'm getting the depths right, still working on it.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad1979 View Post
Stripped AZ Peacock Lady...my go to for stillwater fishing.
Meaning stripped you mean no hackle ?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 AM

Or stripping action?
Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Sophomoric Member

Pretty sure he means stripping action.

I've caught a lot of fish both ways, but probably more and bigger fish suspending chironomids etc under and indicator. If you want to suspend deep, get a slip indicator so you don't have to stop reeling in on the fish with 15 feet of line still out. click here My neighbor/fishing buddy invented and produces these. I love them. Easy to adjust the depth super quick, which I think is very important.

Another effective technique if you're in a boat and especially in deep water is to fish a straight line vertically. That is, you use a full sink like, let it sink all the way to the bottom below you and slowly retrieve straight up like and emerging midge. To do this well, you'll want to know exactly the depth below you: to do that clip you hemostats to the end of your line and pay out line till they hit the bottom (they stop pulling line). You can put a rubber band on your spool at this point so you know just how much line to let out to get all the way down. Takes patience to let that line out, but it can be well worth it.

You can also use the hemos technique when fishing an indicator. Set your indicator depth and fling those hemos attached to the line out where you want to fish. They will pull the indicator under the water exactly as far as your indicator will suspend your flies above the bottom of the lake.

A lot of serious stillwater fishermen invest in different density full-sink lines. Use a troll or strip method and use the weight of the line to control the depth and get to the fish.

I guide on a bunch of stillwaters up here so I've found a lot of different techniques that work.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:09 PM

Yes stripping action.

The straight line method sounds interesting. Never heard of that before. I am going to give that a try when I'm in the whites in June.

And that indicator is pretty cool...always learning...
Old 04-30-2017, 08:29 AM

I found an intermediate sink - Type I or II - line indespensable in stillwater fishing in AZ.

A friend used a clear sink-tip float/sinking line to good effect in suspending midge imitations just under the surface.

Keeping the fly in the zone where the fish are feeding seems really crucial to success...almost more than fly selection, so a full array of flylines is a good thing.