Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2017, 05:41 PM

Shrimp

While re-re-re-re-organizing my flies into the ones guaranteed to catch fish and ones not guaranteed to catch fish, I came across a handful of Mysis shrimp. I don't understand, I have only one pile of flies. Are Mysis shrimp found anywhere in Arizona? I've never used a Mysis shrimp anywhere. So why do I have them? It's kinda like guns, you can't have too many patterns and you just never know when you will need one.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:04 PM

Don't know what the shrimp flys look like but you might try them on some feeding carp. Ya never know.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:19 PM

Mysis are small, probably size 18, white shrimp with large dark eyes and a long translucent tail.

The Colorado Division of Wildlife introduced them into Reudi (Roodeye) reservoir to control another critter, which I believe was plankton but they soon went out of control so they are now considered an invasive species. The good news is, they wind up in the Frying Pan River just below Reudi dam in a favorite spot called the "the bend pool" and make for some huge rainbows in the six to eight pound range. If you go there, take your own rock to stand on and arrive before first light.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:05 PM

Taylor river below the the dam.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:30 AM

flyer,

Roger that. I forgot about the Taylor. I fished it once a number of miles below the dam far below where the big trout were for a short time but didn't catch anything. I was on my way to the San Juan.

A deceased outdoor writer for the Denver Post, Charlie Myers, would write about the latest hot spots, like the fat football rainbows below Taylor, Reudi and Dillon Dams. As soon as he did this, that was a signal to take your own rock and a signal for me to avoid those areas.

I don't like fishing these areas because I don't like being snarled at by guides or other anglers. I'm very courteous on rivers and always respect distance but there are some places where if you fish within a couple of light years of another angler, you get nasty looks and comments.

About four years ago, I fished directly below Reudi dam in the bend pool but didn't catch anything so I headed down stream for some pocket water and better action. The two dudes who invited me for the trip, homesteaded the bend pool and eventually one of them caught a monster rainbow on a Mysis shrimp.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 03-13-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:42 PM

Fished those little guys last week on the blue below the dam. Must be good chow because the fish loved them.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 PM

bugchucker,

Sounds like your day on the Blue was a good one.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:21 AM

Yes it was. Weather is great right now, but as you know that will change. Still waiting for the "big spring storm".
Old 03-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Those Frying pan fish aren't scared of a little meat. Ive had a few days where streamers outfished those shrimp, and outfished drakes...during a pretty damn thick green drake hatch.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Shhhh......Dutchman, some things are best kept a secret....

Just saying