Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2016, 02:46 PM

Portable Fish Finders

What type of fish finder do you use on your float tube or pontoon boat ( the one person type)? I want something very portable . Any ideas welcomed.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:14 PM
Tying and Fishing Nerd

I'm sorry I do not have any information to contribute to this, but I've been looking for this exact same thing for my kayak.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:55 AM

There are tons of small options that are compatible with an iphones and androids. Stuff like this...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/DEEPE...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 05-19-2016, 10:59 AM

I used one awhile back on my canoe, it was a small Hummingbird one and I made a small bracket for the transducer and then used a AA battery holder from Radio Shack that holds 8 AA's, that's equal to 12v. Put alligator clips on it and it worked great. Never had the batteries die on me. I also used it a few times on my float tube. If you guys need any help let me know.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:49 PM

I have a Fishin' Buddy by Humminbird. I use it on float tubes and a pontoon.
Its not effective as a fish finder IMO, but I really use it to get water depth, which is all that matters to me.
It works very well for this task.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:04 PM

Fishfinders have come along way in the past several years. With that so much DIY information on setting them up, plus new products to make it easier than ever. I have a Hummingbird that is about 5 yrs old now and think it was around a 100 bucks. When it gives out I want to up grade to one with side sonar and split screen. One thing that I hear a lot of once the finder is bought the person can't see the screen. One tip is when looking at them at the display stand back 3 or 4 feet look to see if you can still make out the screen. As for make and model check out what other say about them. They are electronics and some models are better that other for what you want to use it for. I would think any unit under a 200 bucks will do.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to JerryM
Humminbird bought out Bottomline Fish buddy's. I have used one for over 20 years on my float tube and kick boat. It is my understanding they stopped production a year ago but they can be found. Try this Amazon link. Make sure you select one with "side finder".

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...hin'+buddy