Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2015, 09:21 AM

Bad News

EPA really screwed up. This could impact a lot of our rivers...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/us/col...rpt/index.html
Old 08-09-2015, 10:16 AM

yea I saw this yesterday.....very bad deal
Old 08-09-2015, 11:20 AM

Ouch. That's pretty ugly.

I wonder why mining operations aren't on-the-hook for mitigation of abandoned mine sites until it is clear of environmental disaster like this?

I get that EPA staff crashed the car on this one, but why were they even driving?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 AM

Most mining companies claim bankruptcy when the mine dries up. That absolves them of responsibility, then they start the next company, next mine, next problem.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:43 AM

This is heartbreaking.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:14 AM

This is a travesty.

Zor, while I can kind of agree with your statement, the mine involved this time has been closed since the early 1920's. I think more of the problem here is that humans re-involved themselves and particularly a group that thinks they know best. There are mines like this one all over the west and they are all a Pandora's Box. Being a geologist and working in the engineering industry, it is my feeling it is best to leave them alone.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 AM

If I lived off of the mining industry I would defend it, because I do not, guess what ?? This old mine is not even the tip of the iceberg of mining issues. New and old mines fill up with snow/rain water and leech out forever. Colorado, along Hwy 550, looks like a nuclear bomb site for miles and miles and miles. There are many streams that hold no aquatic life. No, thank you

Last edited by joe; 08-10-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
If I lived off of the mining industry I would defend it, because I do not, guess what ?? This old mine is not even the tip of the iceberg of mining issues. New and old mines fill up with snow/rain water and leech out forever. Colorado, along Hwy 550, looks like a nuclear bomb site for miles and miles and miles. There are many streams that hold no aquatic life. No, thank you
Who's defending the mining industry. Bottom line is the EPA screwed the pooch big time. They disregarded their own regulations and this is what we end up with. I'll bet not a single person get's a demotion or looses their job for that matter. This is Gov at it's best. If this was a private company owned mine they would be screaming the heads of the heads . Why is nobody screaming for the head of the EPA's head. Go figure.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:20 PM

Obviously, it could have been handled better but why does EPA feel obligated to clean up after private industry nightmares ??
Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMandella View Post
Who's defending the mining industry. Bottom line is the EPA screwed the pooch big time. They disregarded their own regulations and this is what we end up with. I'll bet not a single person get's a demotion or looses their job for that matter. This is Gov at it's best. If this was a private company owned mine they would be screaming the heads of the heads . Why is nobody screaming for the head of the EPA's head. Go figure.
I hope that I didn't come across defending the either. My point was there are old mines putting contamination in our streams and there is HUGE risk trying to mitigate these areas. There are many factors working against safe, economical, mitigation, namely gravity, water, potentially saturated fill, and humans. These old mine sites have, over time, achieved some degree of equilibrium. I am not saying an environmentally sound equilibrium but one that allows some to a high degree of functionality of the ecosystem. This one instance, at what is probably a very small old mine, has put a large area at risk for potential long term impact. It is my hope that the fishery is not severely damaged. Let's all cross our fingers and that the insurance policy is good. It is interesting that no consultant or contractors names have been mentioned. I don't know, but I don't think the EPA self performs a lot of work.

I will end say it is a travesty. It really bums me out.