Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 PM

Salt river horses

http://www.12news.com/story/news/loc...rses/31081367/

So are they going to also remove the unwanted giant walls of concrete in the river?! And every other non- native inhabitant of the watershed ?! better yet the thousands of tubers and resulting beer cans?!

This sucks. I've always thought that these horses brought a little bit of mystique to fishing the river. Sad to see yet another case of the forest service completely blowing it.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:17 PM

Unfortunate. It be nice if they trucked them somewhere nice like Lees ferry or the Rez

My bio professor at SCC did say they eat every seedling palo verde and ...crap whatever other large shade trees can't think of it, mesquites etc.

Now there is no new growth of large shade trees, up and down the salt/verde on the rez side according to him its the horses fault lol, sorry just a little devils advocate, no trees has its ill effects as we know as far as water temps and runoff/sediment. He said they love to eat the young trees but just his take..
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 AM

This must be a very important use of tax payer dollars. We couldn't possibly use this money for schools or emergency services now could we? Forgive my sarcasm but I do believe the government is doing it's best to prove it can go beyond extreme levels of stupidity!!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 AM

If you can get past the romantic notion of wild horses being the subject it is actually a pretty interesting ecological question. Grazing animals can muck up riparian ecology - especially on a tailwater river, and one without many natural predators.

That said, it's hard to imagine how 100 horses could be that much of a problem one way or the other. They're a novelty for locals and tourists, and seem pretty harmless. Unlike cows they have pretty much naturalized out there and arguably just wildlife at this point.

The Forest Service is doing a spectacular job of NOT making a very good case to do this.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:28 PM

What about the damn donkeys on the way to pleasant? Those things are dangerous on the road. I like the horses on the salt.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:54 PM

You guys should sign the petition. They are only like 2,500 signatures away from their goal.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:13 PM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

I sure do enjoy seeing the horses at lees ferry.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyForFuture View Post
You guys should sign the petition. They are only like 2,500 signatures away from their goal.
signed.

theres also a press conference about the horses today at 5 at butcher jones.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:44 PM

from the horses mouth, he is a horse guy to he rides the trails out on the Verde side. Putting them in a feral horse preserve on the rim or on a reservation is the best outcome but then there are people killed by horses in the roadways issues too. A family friend in the whites was killed in highway collision on the way to white river. I like the wild horses but nobody is mentioning the damage the can do when they make the argument. I just watched a interview on the news and the FS guy had little to say should have said it like this..

''The process for disposal is laid out in the state law that outlines what to do with stray livestock. The horses are rounded up and the State Deptartment of Agriculture, livestock inspectors, try to contact the owners. If no owner can be found from brands etc, then they are auctioned off to pay for their expenses. What happenes to horses bought at auction is up to the buyer. These horses are mustangs and hard to train, and if trained, don't imprint on people so they can be dangerous. Maintaining them along the Salt would not address the issue of habitat destruction caused by the horses eating all the spring production of cottonwood seedlings for many decades. People could adopt and maintain them. But maintaining a horse costs a minimum of $1600 a year just for the food. The Yavapai should not have been irresponsible with their horses, but they were hard for the Yavapai and Pima to maintain too. The Salt River Pima have given some of their horses to other tribes such as the White Mountain Apaches, who have let the horses go up there. After the Rodeo Chediski fire burned the fence separating the reservation from forest service lands, the horses moved onto the forest and are causing problems up there too. So, should the forest service let the horses stay for free? Well, if that is the case I could graze my horses on the Tonto Forest for free too. Like Cliven Bundy on BLM land in Nevada. These horses are not covered under the Wild Horse and Burro Act because when the act was established the USFS and BLM had to survey their lands for wild horses and burros. At the time, these horses were obviously comming off the reservations, so they are'n't covered since reservation lands are not publc lands. My worry is that the horses are going to continue to breed and their population can double every 5 years as long as there is room for them to expand. They already have expanded up the Verde River and up the Salt River to Saguaro Lake. In 5 years the 100 horses will be 200, in 10 years 400, 15 years 800, 20 years 1600 25 years 3200 etc.''

''Well safety is a big issue because these horses get through the ROW fence on Bush Highway (the fs actually maintains openings in the fence for the horses here) and especially on the Beeline Highway. One of my game warden friends who has horses and lives in near the Verde spent some time trying to gather some horses along the BeeLIne that could easily could have killed someone if a car hit the animal.''

Last edited by Drake Side of The Moon; 08-04-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:43 PM

It's national news now:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015.../?intcmp=hpbt2

This will shake the tree a bit.....
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Last edited by DrLogik; 08-04-2015 at 08:14 PM.