Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2015, 11:26 AM

the Ferry

Going to Lees ferry September 24-27 Looking for someone to split the trip room and guide for one day.

I have a room booked and a guide for the 25th booked. Would be leaving PHX early am on the 24th and coming home on the 27th. Ill drive split gas.

room and guide for one day will be aprox $400 a person if one goes... a bit less if we have 3 people. Then gas and food and you have yourself a quick vacation and fishing.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Trockenfliegenfishen

Send a message via AIM to mikeyboyaz
I don't head out to the ferry till October... doubt I could convince the better half I should go two months in a row...

Granted, I just sport the evening at the campground... Never had a real desire to stay in a hotel just before or after I go fishing... always seemed upside down to me.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboyaz View Post
I don't head out to the ferry till October... doubt I could convince the better half I should go two months in a row...

Granted, I just sport the evening at the campground... Never had a real desire to stay in a hotel just before or after I go fishing... always seemed upside down to me.
Amen Mikey , been fishing it for years and I camp upriver the whole time I'm there . To me it's part of the experience .
Old 08-13-2015, 08:12 PM

I have never been... ill have to give that a shot next time when I have a clue what i am doing there
Old 08-14-2015, 10:09 AM

Walk in fishing

Anybody know if the walk-in is fishing any better? Been wanting to get up there.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 PM

ill tell you in a few weeks when i get back.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:45 AM

Flyrn - be sure to have literally every midge in sizes 18-24 tied before you go (if you tie). I'vetaken roughly 8-9 trips to the ferry with 60-75% of my fish coming on midges. Also, research the "lees ferry extended drift". It's been a great way for me to catch fish. If you're going out with Terry's guys, you'll learn it all and more. I've taken two upriver and one walk in guide trips with them (all at least 10 years ago) and I've done wonderfully every trip since due to the amazing amount of information my guides have provided me.
Good luck and I hope you hook up with some old school Lees Ferry monsters. It's an unreal rush to catch a 30" trout on a #24 zebra midge.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:03 AM

Thanks Brandon,

I am going to fish the walk in area when i get there for the afternoon... then I guide with Terry the next day up river..... fish the walk in the next day and come home the next day. I am hoping to learn enough that day with the guide to fish it solo most of the time.

I do tie and have been looking for patterns but all i see are Zeebs and San Juan worms for the Ferry. I have a box of small stuff from tying midges for the Juan but need some bigger stuff also from what i have read... 16's and 18's. If you have any suggestions ill be tying up a storm for the next couple weeks
Old 08-15-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrn View Post
Thanks Brandon,

I am going to fish the walk in area when i get there for the afternoon... then I guide with Terry the next day up river..... fish the walk in the next day and come home the next day. I am hoping to learn enough that day with the guide to fish it solo most of the time.

I do tie and have been looking for patterns but all i see are Zeebs and San Juan worms for the Ferry. I have a box of small stuff from tying midges for the Juan but need some bigger stuff also from what i have read... 16's and 18's. If you have any suggestions ill be tying up a storm for the next couple weeks
Fly selection changes year to year so I would suggest sending me a PM sometime after the first week in Sept and I should have a good handle on what flies will be working. I hate to see people putting a lot of time into tying flies that will not be used.

Try to keep it to 2 anglers and not 3. There are few places on the river that we can put 3 fishermen where everyone can have a successful day, whereas there are lots of places that we can put 2 anglers ...with a single angler, the river is ours.

Looking forward to seeing you and I'll do my best to ensure that the fish are happy to see you too.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 PM

Thanks Terry... Ill send you an email after the first of Sept! Cant wait for my first trip to the Ferry!