Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Colorado River News

Old 03-15-2013, 01:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to JerryM
Report on Lees Ferry Fishing

It is time to put the concern for fishing Lees Ferry aside and plan a trip up there. I and two friends where there early in the week to see what effect the November High flows had on the fishery. To our amazement the impact was far less then we had expected. The river bed still had algae and weed cover, though less than before the flood. The fish were abundant and for the most part healthy and good condition, not much different than normal after a winter in the canyon with little light at the bottom. Midge hatches are beginning to build and were the primary attraction for the fish. Checking the bottom material, algae and weeds indicated invertebrate survival of the floods including scuds.

The Monday, March 10th we fished upstream stopping at 4 mile, 9 mile, Duck Island, and another stop or two. Each of us caught around 25 to 30 fish that day. The fish range from a low of about 10 inches topping out at 16 to 17 inches. They had beautiful color and were good fighters. The next day, Tuesday March 11th around 8:00am, we again headed up river. We hit many of the same stops in the river with a couple of new ones for this trip. The new ones were Prop Bar and Power Line. Though not quite as productive as the day before fish were caught at all stops and each of us had landed above 12 or so. Power Line was the location two of us landed the biggest of the trip. Ones in the 17 to 18 inch range.

The consistent fly pattern was the Zebra midge, bead head, preferable with tungsten for getting down in the water column quicker and with a black body. I did have results with a disco midge and a green midge; however black was the fish’s favorite. The midges were suspended below a dry fly used as a strike indicator. The length of the line below the dry fly was adjusted to depth of the water we were fishing. In almost all cases we were fishing very near to the shore line.

For those who have been hearing predictions of poor fishing, little action and landing “snakes” find a new prognosticator. My recommendation is to head up to Lees Ferry and wet your line. The road from below 89A to Marble Canyon is clear with no obstructions. Highway 89 is closed at the turn off to Marble Canyon. Share your report with me on how you did.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 PM

i was up there the same days fishing the walk in. I had about the same results. most of the fish were from 14 to 18'' and I used zebras and san wan worms. The black bodies seemed to work best in morning and evening, but all my afternoon strikes were on a white body with black ribs and a black bead head. I also landed a brown, I posted a few photos in the "browns in lees ferry" forum.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Pro Guide

Told ya so

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
It is time to put the concern for fishing Lees Ferry aside and plan a trip up there. I and two friends where there early in the week to see what effect the November High flows had on the fishery. To our amazement the impact was far less then we had expected. The river bed still had algae and weed cover, though less than before the flood. The fish were abundant and for the most part healthy and good condition, not much different than normal after a winter in the canyon with little light at the bottom. Midge hatches are beginning to build and were the primary attraction for the fish. Checking the bottom material, algae and weeds indicated invertebrate survival of the floods including scuds.

The Monday, March 10th we fished upstream stopping at 4 mile, 9 mile, Duck Island, and another stop or two. Each of us caught around 25 to 30 fish that day. The fish range from a low of about 10 inches topping out at 16 to 17 inches. They had beautiful color and were good fighters. The next day, Tuesday March 11th around 8:00am, we again headed up river. We hit many of the same stops in the river with a couple of new ones for this trip. The new ones were Prop Bar and Power Line. Though not quite as productive as the day before fish were caught at all stops and each of us had landed above 12 or so. Power Line was the location two of us landed the biggest of the trip. Ones in the 17 to 18 inch range.

The consistent fly pattern was the Zebra midge, bead head, preferable with tungsten for getting down in the water column quicker and with a black body. I did have results with a disco midge and a green midge; however black was the fish’s favorite. The midges were suspended below a dry fly used as a strike indicator. The length of the line below the dry fly was adjusted to depth of the water we were fishing. In almost all cases we were fishing very near to the shore line.

For those who have been hearing predictions of poor fishing, little action and landing “snakes” find a new prognosticator. My recommendation is to head up to Lees Ferry and wet your line. The road from below 89A to Marble Canyon is clear with no obstructions. Highway 89 is closed at the turn off to Marble Canyon. Share your report with me on how you did.

That's what we've been telling everyone. The flood had minimal impact on numbers and condition of the fish. Come enjoy it before the 100's arrive. And when the 100's do arrive, fish cicadas

Kevin Campbell www.FishPowell.com

Last edited by Kevin Campbell; 03-15-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: edit
Old 03-26-2013, 06:45 PM
will work for trout

being one that has yet to make it to the ferry, when does cicada season usually pick up? that sounds like a good time
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstream View Post
being one that has yet to make it to the ferry, when does cicada season usually pick up? that sounds like a good time
July. Most years the hatch is going by the 1st and for sure the 15th. It is different every year. We are due a major hatch, perhaps this will be the year.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Fish Or No Fish Lees Ferry Is An Amazing Place

But I Guess Fishing Is Pretty Fun Too
3/28/13

Last edited by jrdorvis; 03-28-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 PM

Lee's Ferry

Good to see your picture Jared. I really enjoyed fishing with you on Sunday that was a great day. Bill became ill that night and could not fish on Monday but I had a great day with Tyler, thanks for putting me with a good guy. I caught enough fish to loose count again so it was a good day. Hope you came out alright with your truck problems.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayghost View Post
Good to see your picture Jared. I really enjoyed fishing with you on Sunday that was a great day. Bill became ill that night and could not fish on Monday but I had a great day with Tyler, thanks for putting me with a good guy. I caught enough fish to loose count again so it was a good day. Hope you came out alright with your truck problems.
Tylers new knickname is McLuber. Courtesy of FatGuyAlex.