Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerdvm View Post
where do you get an 11ft 3wt rod - that's awesome - where can I get one?
Just made it. You can see it on the rod building forum. Should be interesting if I hook a pig. It could even be its first and last fish
Old 08-18-2011, 12:45 PM

Thanks for all the info and help guys. Hope to see some of you on the lake. I will be in a blue Fat Cat or me and Bill may be out in a rubber raft, God help us. I hope we all catch some fish, see you there.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:38 PM

The lake just turned over and is very off color. Good luck but set your expectations low...
Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Fisherman at Heart

Flats, if that lake isn't going to be fishing well, do you know how any of the other lakes up there are fishing? Any that are fishing better than Crescent?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Edwin View Post
Flats, if that lake isn't going to be fishing well, do you know how any of the other lakes up there are fishing? Any that are fishing better than Crescent?
I found Big Lake decent. Big Lake gave up a few more fish but the quality of the crescent fish is hard to beat.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM

building a 11' 3wt. I bought a 10' blank from Global Dorber Group. hang one, I look up the website.....http://www.dorber.com/

I built it with a 12" Tennessee handle with slip rings. But I also built an add on fighting but of 12". So I now have an 11' 3wt with a 24" handle with slip rings. Can be fished as a 10' single hand, 11' single hand, or an 11' two handed rod. Haven't finished it yet. All I gotta do is put on the guides and it be ready for the test.

just fyi....I dunno where to get a 11' 3wt blank off hand.

Jim
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 PM

would you need a 2 hand 3wt? ---- 3wt spey rod?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:01 AM

Need a 2 handed 3wt? No. Want a 2 handed 3 wt. Yes
'tis indeed built to spey cast with.
But I was just posting how to come up with a 11' 3wt.
I see now where the 11' blank was obtained. That is what you asked for. I was just saying how I ended up with a 11' 3 wt trying to be helpful. Actually mine was listed as a full flex. 2 pc.

Actually built so an 8" slip ring cork grip can be slipped onto the 5' tip section, and can hang a spinning reel on it or a fly reel. Remove the 8" cork grip and put it together and have a 10' with the ability to hang a a spinning reel or a fly reel off it. And then can add the 1' fighting butt and can put a spinning reel or a fly reel on it. Single hand fly cast with the 5' tip. Single hand or spin cast as a 10'. And then also have the ability to single hand or two hand cast as an 11' rod. Just a toy to play with. Probably cast and fish like a noodle. I just had to give the idea a shot. Apologize for butting in.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Apprentice Rod Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Fish chronomids and a bobber. Really only way fish are being caught right now
What Lucky said.

I kept two smaller fish for supper Wednesday, and both were full of chironomids.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:58 AM

I fished Cresent this past Wed, Thurs, Fri. It rained a lot with lightning all around which meant I had to get off the lake quickly everyday. In the early am the water was calm so the scum of algee was thick on the surface. When the wind would come up a little it was mixed in and so less apparent. There was little to no surface action. I picked up just two 15 inch fish on black wollies. Flashback got 5-6 on cone headed zebras and another man from Showlow Flycasters got five (one 20") on the same. I couldn't hook them that way as they would take the indicator under and when you eased back the had already spit it out. I got tired of the rain and lightning and did not fish Sat. It was good to see that the area was not completely burned and the area around Big Lake is still beautiful. The damage runs from 0 to 100 % . The area past Big Lake is much worse running 100%.