Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 AM

Upper End of Chevlon Canyon Lake

Can anyone refresh my memory about how to get here. Been a while since I drove into the upper end.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Always Improving

From Hwy 260, turn left (west) onto FR 300, aka Rim Road. Go roughly 7 miles (?), turn right (north) onto FR 169.

I forgot the actual mileage, but turn right (east) onto FR 119.

Go about 1-2 miles (?) then turn left (north) onto FR 180.

Follow FR 180 to the end, where the trail leads away from a dispersed and primitive camping area.

Sorry about the lack of mileage, as it's been many fall cycles since I've gone in that way.

You can also locate your route on Google Earth, but it won't show mileage or Mile Post markers.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 10-18-2017, 03:24 PM

The last four miles on FR180 really are in bad shape. When I was there earlier in the year it took me well over a half hour. Maybe even close to an hour, to get to the camping area. I had a 97 V8 4Runner, which is an off road worthy vehicle, but it still took a long time, so make sure you have a 4 Wheel drive vehicle.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM

I plan on heading out there early to mid November.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:10 AM

A buddy and myself just went there last weekend. We took my 2013 Subaru Outback. I agree with jchar that the last few miles are gnarly. We definitely had to pick our rout carefully. Our original plan was to put my 12' Nucanoe kayak in at the dam side, but we vastly underestimated the ruggedness of the road to the lake and my kayak dolly failed. So we did the journey to to inlet with a 12' kayak on my roof also. The subaru is a plenty capable all wheel drive, and didn't ever even slip going back out, but my buddy's 4runner will be the vehicle of choice when we head back there.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Big Toe,

How were the lake conditions, etc. It has been a hot October. I was thinking that in November the water temps would have dropped quite a bit by then.

Last year when I went up there in October/November the water level in the lake was super low, with the last one hundred yards of the lake reverting back to a stream. I asked about it and was told by Game and Fish that the significant drop was due to water releases at the dam. I guess it was part of somebody's management plan. What did you see?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:30 PM

Jchar,

This was only my second time fishing the inlet, but it appeared to be about 5-7' low? The water was quite a bit down from the edge of the weeds and brush around the edge of the lake. I don't think it was as low as you saw it last year, though.