Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Colorado River News

Old 10-11-2017, 07:16 AM

No High Flow Experiment at Lees Ferry in 2017!

Just got the official news that there will be no high flow experiment this year due to the lack of sediment. This is good news for the river and trout fishing. Perhaps this will give the government more time to come to their senses and realize that fall floods are unnatural occurrences and a waste of taxpayer money and time. Offical announcement here:

This email is to inform you that there is not sufficient sediment to support implementing a high flow experiment (HFE) at Glen Canyon Dam during the fall 2017 planning window; therefore an HFE will not be tested this fall. This determination is based on the best available sediment and streamflow data and sand budget modeling to date. Grand Canyon Monitoring and Research Center (GCMRC) scientists and Reclamation modelers considered cumulative sediment inputs from July 1 through midnight October 9th in making this determination. In order to facilitate advance planning for a potential HFE this fall, the HFE technical team determined that October 9th was the latest date for which sediment inputs could be considered for a potential HFE this fall. The determination that no HFE has been triggered this fall is made in accordance with the process for sediment related experiments described in the Glen Canyon Dam Long-Term Experimental and Management Plan Record of Decision.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:58 PM

Fantastic news!!
HFEs in the fall have never made any sense what so ever to me.
1. There is nothing "natural" about a high flow event in the fall. Peak runoffs occur in the late spring.
2. I know there is total disregard for the trout fishery however why go out of your way to destroy it? Think of the most detrimental thing you could do (short of turning off the water or poisoning) and you would come up with a HFE in the fall. Going into the winter months, the trout depend on the food sources that have been getting established all summer. The fall HFE flushes out the grass beds and thin silt layers that hold the winters supply of midge larvae and crustaceans. The result: poor fish in the spring going into the spawn.

Looking forward to next year already!!
Old 11-14-2017, 01:17 PM

Amen to all of that!!! The illogic of fall floods is exemplary of government logic at its best. Most of us can remember when the Ferry was a fishery that drew people from all of the world-not just our country but when was the last time we've seen or heard of it mentioned in that context. Hope you're right Terry. Maybe you should try to start up a grass roots effort to pressure the powers to be to follow their own recommendations that they came up with last year in the study (EIS, if I remember correctly) they did. I'm sure we would all get on board with both feet. It's sad to say that we have to get the government to stay out of things just to save a resource like the Ferry and let it return to some semblance of its former awesome self.
While I'm at it, why do they call the HFE and "Experiment". There's nothing experimental about it at this point. The governments own studies have clearly proven that the whole concept of fall flooding is totally unnatural and devastating to the Ferry as a fishery. As just stated, we know they don't care about that but I also ask-why do they go out of their way to destroy it? Maybe that's the tongue in cheek strategy to save the endangered suckers.