Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2018, 12:58 PM

Looking for Smallmouth bass, have plane will fly

Hi guys,

I'm finally able to fish again. Wanted to know if anyone knows of spots for smallies. I tried oak creek a while ago and it's really muddy and smallies around just little dinky hand size, barely larger than my clouser. looking for something a little bigger, not necessary monsters, just want to have some fun.

I've been getting motion sickness from boats for some reason maybe I'm getting old. Either way I prefer something I can wade in the water, walk along the shore. I think can handle a boat for an hour tops at a time lately.

I have a small 2 seat plane and can travel around. Also if anyone is interested in fly fishing smallies and you're under 200lbs w gear feel free to jump right seat, I'm cool with flying if you know spots, or I can split gas w you if you drive.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-01-2018, 08:36 AM
Always Improving

Willow Springs Lake is loaded with smallies. From the boat dock, head southeast into the major finger. They're like missiles once hooked, going airborne with violent head shakes. Average size is around 2 pounds.

Or, if you want some true bruisers, how does a 5 pound smallie sound to you? Think about the confluence of the East Verde and Verde River systems.

Several years ago, while working with Gila County Sheriff's Office, several of us needed to remove gear from a National Geographic site, as the employee was scared away, refusing to go back for his gear.

He had a gill net stretched across the East Verde, roughly 50 feet away from the Verde River. In that net, we released about ten 5 pound smallies, with lots of smaller ones, most in the 2 pound range.

Once I get a kayak, I plan on floating down the Verde targeting both smallies and bucketmouths. Crappie weren't too bad, but the bass were definitely in abundance.

Hope this helps a bit.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"

Last edited by david vaughn; 05-01-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:08 AM

WOOOW! Willow Springs Lake? I had no idea. I went there and got trout, also first time crashing into a dear that jumped out on the street.

I don't think I've fished the East Verde, I've only don't a little fishing on the verde that went through a hippie camp, on my way to Sedona.

Mind if I join you Dave? I think can find a kayak to rent or something.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:51 AM
Always Improving

Sure, would enjoy the company. Not sure when this trip will happen though, as it's been on my bucket list since the late 80's (too busy fishing elsewhere). And I still need to pick up an Ascend kayak.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Hey David,

I'm of the same mind with the kayak, I've been eyeing one as well. I assume you're talking about the ascend models that you can stand up on? Do you known much about them? What length are you thinking?
Old 05-04-2018, 12:40 PM

"as the employee was scared away, refusing to go back for his gear."

What scared him off?
Old 05-04-2018, 01:01 PM

An old air strip exists at Red Creek on the Verde, it's about 12 miles north of Horseshoe. No idea of it's condition or details but I know people fly in there. It's a rough area, plenty of fish back in there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...IiWck_Ry3L4E0A
Old 05-05-2018, 04:36 AM

Ran into the Anasazi Group down there at the East Verde confluence once. They were about freaky enough to drop your gear and go
http://www.anasazi.org
Also, the biggest sunfish I have seen caught in person came out of the pool there where Houston Creek comes in. Years ago you could Jeep in there on a road rough enough to pucker the keister. Been closed a long time though.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:03 AM
Always Improving

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native34 View Post
Hey David,

I'm of the same mind with the kayak, I've been eyeing one as well. I assume you're talking about the ascend models that you can stand up on? Do you known much about them? What length are you thinking?
I've watched quite a few videos on the Ascend models, and the 128T Sit on Top model is my dream boat. Sure wish I would have picked it up years ago when it was selling for $549 every day. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/asce...k-desert-storm

The 12T Sit on Top model is one of my two backup models. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Asce...--Desert-Storm

And the 10T Sit on Top model is my third option. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/asce...k-desert-storm

I have a buddy in Strawberry who has a couple of yaks, and now that the water is warming up, I wouldn't mind giving one of his a go, just to see if it's something I'd like.

The reason I like the Ascend models, are due to the rigid seat with the solid back, which isn't held in place via nylon strapping. The strapping on my Caddis tube loosens up after a bit, requiring frequent tightening. My buddy's kayak has the nylon strap on the back as well, which looks somewhat difficult to tighten up throughout the day.

I don't plan on standing up to cast, as I'm able to sling line fairly well without difficulty. There are plenty of videos which show a big boy standing, casting and catching without any issue. But then again, my body isn't in peak athletic condition as it was in high school, either. So sitting and casting works well for me.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:07 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native34 View Post
"as the employee was scared away, refusing to go back for his gear."

What scared him off?
It was mid-summer and the marijuana growers were also in the area. The sight of an armed grower (NG guy stated he was carrying an AK-47) wearing solid camo freaked him out pretty good. He hightailed it out of that area faster than an SR-71 traversing missile prone areas of conflict.