Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Juanuary 2016 - Jan 16,17,18

Old 10-19-2015, 07:13 PM

I'm down. Got to clear it with the wife and work first but I'm sure its ok. I had a great time the trips I went. Never stayed at abes. Do they have a fire pit where we can all hang out at night Mike? I think the pot luck dinners and hanging out each night was my favorite part.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:39 AM

Will there be Mike's special brisket?
Old 10-20-2015, 04:50 PM

no fire pits at Abe's
Old 10-20-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighand View Post
no fire pits at Abe's
Gary, you gonna go? We gotta fish man!

BTW, thanks again for the stimis! I spent a few days at the ferry last month. No risers until I threw your green and black stimi and hammered 'em.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:59 AM

Bisky IS IN ! I love fishing but hanging around that fire at night was a blast and getting to meet some of the greatest guys around. Seldom wanted me to tell you that it was Tony's brisket and he's in. Were just hanging up here right now in Nutri and going to hit Big Lake etc. Looking forward to seeing all that can make it, hope we can get a strong showing once again !

Last edited by biscut head; 10-22-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:33 AM
aka twelvepoundlunker

Some good memories there. One thing that stands out is how cold it can get. We camped out one year, It was the record breaking cold year. I don't think I will camp in January there again. It's was so cold the camper froze and my diesel truck wouldn't be able to start until later in the afternoon from the cold. Brrrr
Old 10-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Just got the wife's permission. Looking forward to fishing and more so looking forward to meeting some of you guys on this forum. Keep me posted where everyone is staying.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:02 PM
In dog beers, only had 1

Location: Arizona resident since January, 1985; former Missouri resident - b&r.
Juanuary '16

Count me in. Just the mention of Juanuary makes me salivate. Back, knees, wrists aside, I would rather fish and hurt than just stay home and hurt.

I just got back from the Juan yesterday with the Arizona Fly Casters (AFC) and it is looking great. Even Abe's has updgraded! They have some new cabins, so book early and get a newer one. They also have full hookups for RV's.

The food at Abe's, Fisheads, and The Sportsman's was all good to very good.

We caught a lot of fish and had good weather (Sunday-Wednesday). Some of the guys in the AFC were there for a longer stay and everyone had a good time.

Sadly The Enchanted Hideaway no longer exists. Google will point to a bare spot on the ground where it was, but now only natural gas or some other frackin' type of oil pipes are sprouting out of the ground all over, along with some pumping stations and other oil-type paraphernalia. That stuff is also at the Cottonwoods State Park, but does not detract too much from the great scenery and solitude that is the camping area.

Guys that have been there and know what works will always help newer folks. They were hitting the #24 and #26 midges hard (below a #14 natural or black bunny leech or #14-16 chamois worm). They also hit my leech quite a bit. SMALL stuff, but it changes daily. Have a few bucks for flies or be able to tie some. W-ever.

I became a member of the 20/20 club last Sunday - a 20" brown on a #22 midge. Yep. And it can happen to you, too!

See ya on the Juan, gents.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:57 PM

I am considering going on this trip.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:02 AM
Bigfoot Lives

If the 900 miles of road is clear between here and there, I may roll out for it. Not a whole lot to do January and it would be good to see y'all again.