Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Juanuary 2016 - Jan 16,17,18

Old 01-24-2016, 09:22 AM

Juanuary 2016 Notes

First, thanks to all that came. I enjoyed meeting and spending time with you Chris, Matt and Keith. To the rest of you: it had been too long. I hope everyone had a good time.

I thought the fishing was pretty good. While there were lots of smaller fish, some bigger fish showed up too. Wish I would have taken more pictures!!!

There was more snow on the ground than any previous visit I can recall and while we have been there when it was colder, it was still plenty dang cold. I understand why the older generation rolled off this trip. The cold........ it creeps in.

Besides the fire pit removal and cell service, the lodge has not changed much - that is for sure. A couple of Gretchen's old vehicles are still around. I did not realize how much a 27" standard resolution TV seems dated.

I guess what has changed the most is us. I noticed the angling skill set has improved. The other change which is most salient is how much we have mellowed off the water.

I'm guessing the San Juan will not change much the next decade. I wonder how much will we?

Last edited by Seldomseen; 01-24-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:31 PM

I think I was the only "old guy" there. I'm kinda getting used to it now. No old age in the rocking chair for me. Unless it's on pontoons...
Old 01-24-2016, 03:49 PM

It was a fun trip for sure. Lets make it a point not to wait so long for the next one. Next trip up there I am going to try to find some better midge hooks. Way to many break offs and bent hooks from me this trip. I guess trying to loose my Jimmy Houston hook set would help with that too.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:21 PM

It was a fun time for sure. I have been around the forum a long time but never fished with anyone other than SJDDRI (yeah i know all feel sorry for me). Had a blast... i enjoyed the mellow evenings because i am all too quick to fall in line for a shot for shot contest and not getting up the next morning!

Till next time... no metal rings... dont want to see anyone in the ED
Old 01-24-2016, 08:08 PM

Someone told me dremel tools work fine for that.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:11 AM

I had a great time even though my trip was cut short due to my son dislocating his wrist, the Ulna next to the Lunate (snow sledding on a hill I specifically told the wife I did not want him sledding on). I'm not sure what it is with the Juanuary, it seems like this time of the year always brings me bad luck with timing.
Those of you that really know me know that I am a simple man and have simple agendas in life. With that being said, this is why I enjoy being around you guys, you're all laid back and are fun being around. I can go years with out seeing someone and start where we left off as though it was yesterday.
I wish we could put more events together through out the calendar year even if they are just an overnight er some where. Southern Utah (Freemont) or Northern Arizona (Ferry) would be fun to hook up if we could.
But it was nice to get away and see how all of you were doing and catch some fish in a beautiful place. I hope this year bring success to you all, not just fishing, but in your personal life as well.
Bisky