Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Master 18 View Post
Cheif you nailed that on the spot dont go by what the book says i found that out my first time atthe Juan i fished all day to fish with nymphs and was like screw this swithced to a size 18 compara dun and slayed the fish even when the fish wornt rising i could coax one in to bitting mu dry dry fly was the way to go on the juan for me have to agree with cheif on that one wont tell yea were i was at on the juan lets just say seldomly fished by anglers
Trout Master, I agree, I have a couple spots on the Juan that I dry fly and kill it. I have really enjoyed the Juan and have a couple spots where I've fished and literally seen no one but my Dad. I have been fortunate enough to have parents that don't live too far from the spots I like to fish, so it's a perfect trip for me; get to see them and get some killer fishing in. As for people having dealt with rude anglers, I have been fortunate enough not to have to deal with any of that.

Good luck to all, the fishing right now is pretty killer just about everywhere in AZ, UT, and CO
Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the great post Terry. I enjoy reading and learning about the Colorado. I love JW Powell's journal Exploration of the Colorado River and its Canyons. I have rafted the Grand Canyon and Catarack Canyon. Hiked the Canyon. Fished the Winds. Fished and skied Powell since 81 but never fished the Ferry. I once read a book where a guy went and found the Source of the Colorado in the Wind Rivers and followed it to the sea (which doesn't exist anymore because it peaters out). Worst decision ever made was to introduce the Tamarisk trees to prevent bank erosion and has now infested almost every major waterway. That’s what happens when you introduce nonnative habitat into eco systems. It's interesting to hear the viewpoints of the Fish and Game and the Natural Resources because I have family on both sides. I know there is a lot of legislative power fighting over this water and for many fish and ecosystems are their least concerns. I'm just excited to fish it in three weeks!!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Apprentice Rod Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieflyfish View Post
Thanks for the great post Terry. I enjoy reading and learning about the Colorado. I love JW Powell's journal Exploration of the Colorado River and its Canyons. I have rafted the Grand Canyon and Catarack Canyon. Hiked the Canyon. Fished the Winds. Fished and skied Powell since 81 but never fished the Ferry. I once read a book where a guy went and found the Source of the Colorado in the Wind Rivers and followed it to the sea (which doesn't exist anymore because it peaters out). Worst decision ever made was to introduce the Tamarisk trees to prevent bank erosion and has now infested almost every major waterway. That’s what happens when you introduce nonnative habitat into eco systems. It's interesting to hear the viewpoints of the Fish and Game and the Natural Resources because I have family on both sides. I know there is a lot of legislative power fighting over this water and for many fish and ecosystems are their least concerns. I'm just excited to fish it in three weeks!!!!
I heard recently that they may have found a way to eradicate the tamarisks-

Effectiveness of the Tamarisk Leaf Beetle is still being tested.

http://www.tamariskcoalition.org/BeetleMonitoring.html
Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 AM

I hope 10 years from now we're not trying to eradicate the leaf beatle that was introduced. I hope it works!!! I heard they have even used diesel fuel and the tamarisk still comes back. Thank you for the post.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Went to the ferry this past weekend. Caught lots. Caught the bigger fish on weighted line sinking. Here are two of the better ones. Zebra midges size 16 worked. Some had multiple colors of zebras and seemed to do juat a bit better. Love the Ferry! Walk-in fished very well too!

Last edited by freddieflyfish; 07-20-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to BrentP
Having just gotten back from the Ferry, I thought it would be a good time to read all 6 pages of this post. I have always wondered why there don't seem to be very big fish there.

Excellent write up Terry,

You said:

"It dawned on me that the river was suddenly healthy and it had to be a result of the large water inflow into Lake Powell the previous year and the reason that our fishery had been doing so poorly for the past several years was the fact that there was hardly any water inflow into Lake Powell (compounded by the erratic and extreme experimental Trout Suppression Flows); the lake and river WAS STARVING FOR NUTRIENTS!!!"

This is an interesting point. If this is true, I can only imagine what harm will be caused when zebra muscles take over lake Powell like they have from Mead down stream. If they aren't there yet, its only a matter of time.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:34 AM

fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneflynut View Post
It's been about 45 years since Glen Canyon Dam was completed. While Lake Powell was filling nutrient loads were higher as lots of organic debris was flooded. Those nutrients flowed into the Lees Ferry section and provided a good food base for trout. Now that the reservoir has matured, fewer nutrients mean less food for trout so they don't grow as big. Add to that the abundance of small fish all looking for a meal and you have fewer fish reaching large size. Logically, killing some smaller fish would lead to more larger fish but fewer total number in the system. Since guides like their clients to catch lots of fish, naturally they are reluctant to thin the population.

See the Game and Fish regulations for Lees Ferry below. They encourage anglers to take 4 smaller fish per day.

Colorado River
• From Glen Canyon Dam to the beginning of the Paria riffle (Lees
Ferry). Trout over 12 inches may not be possessed. The limit is 4
trout per day and 8 trout in possession; artificial fly and lure only;
barbless hooks only. Trout taken from this portion of the Colorado
River shall be killed and retained as part of the bag limit or immediately
released.
when is a good time of year to fish this area
Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 AM

hi when is a good time of year to fish lees ferry i was thinking about going up there allso do i need any special permit to fish there
Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 PM

Fishing license.

Take a look at the weather, if it suits you, its probably a fine time to fish there. There's all kinds of info around about what works during what time of year.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Orbiting Flagstaff

Check the Lees Ferry Anglers homepage.