Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM

Top Water Help...

One of the higher lakes in the white mountains has always been pretty good to me and is my favorite place to camp and fish this time of year and into late October. Throughout the day on nymph or streamer rigs, stripping various speeds on sink tips or full sinking line or hanging under an indicator. Then early evening comes and fish are rising all over the place until dark. I change to my floating line and empty my top water fly boxes onto the water in search of a strike but nada! Should I sit back with a cold one and just enjoy the evening spectacle or change up my strategies? I think in know the answer. Any success you have had and would be willing to share would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:40 AM

There are some mayflies hatching in the evenings, but I would be thinking chironomids - midges - in the evenings.

A friend was a more skilled "midger" in the past, but hanging a small hare's ear or favorite emerger pattern in the film can be effective. Grey works the most often, but be ready to experiment and some different colors may work: look at the adult naturals and kind of extrapolate for the emerging bugs......for size and color.

Floating flylines and even clear intermediate (5-10') tip lines can get some grabs with unweighted flies under those conditions.

Last edited by aztightlines; 09-21-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 PM

Blue,

I guess one could say I am an old school fly fisher. I come from the day when strike indicators for moving water were just coming into favor and fishing still water with a nymph suspended under a strike indicator was un-heard of.

In spite of this, may I offer a suggestion, one which I've used in still water for what seems to be an eternity and one that has produced a lot of fish?

You can guess by my first paragraph, I fish still water mostly without a strike indicator. I've done it a couple of time with limited success. My success has been casting to rising fish. I cannot tell you how many stocked and wild trout I've caught with this method.

When fish are rising, you know two things. First, there are fish in the lake and second, they are feeding. It is true some of these fish will be zeroed in on the hatching insect and won't take anything but or an exact replica but it is my belief many of these fish will be feeding with reckless abandon and will take anything that remotely resembles food.

My favorite nymph for this method, with or without a bead head (mostly without because it lies in the surface film) is a gold ribbed hare's ear in size sixteen or eighteen. My tactic is to cast, with a floating line, to a rising fish and IMMEDIATELY begin stripping line. The splat of the fly on the water may spook the fish but, more times than not, will attract the fish. If you know the direction the fish is going, by way of subsequent rises, place your nymph in front of the fish and begin stripping, IMMEDIATELY.

I was at a Christmas party with my wife, many years ago. We sat at a table where there was an angler who is a lunker hunter and only fishes - never mind that. He began telling me about using a nymph below a strike indicator. This is the first time I learned of this method. He told me I would never catch fish on the straight line method. I believe he was referring to casting to rising fish and stripping. If only I could have told him how many fish I've caught on the, "straight line" method for which there have been thousands well, hundreds at least. I couldn't wait to be rid of this man. I'm getting off topic here but he wanted to know which brands of fly rods I have and the color of the rods so he would know the value. Give me a break.

Good luck and rip some lips.

When you're not fishing, you're not fishing. In other words, sleep when you are dead.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 09-21-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 AM
Always Improving

Hey Bucksnort, I love the Red Green Show!

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 09-22-2017, 08:48 AM

David Vaughn,

Finally, someone with good taste in TV shows.

I've been addicted to Red Green for about 15 years. Colorado Public Broadcasting ran the program every Saturday night at 10 pm. My ritual was to pour a couple of shots of single malt scotch, grab a small bowl of Planters peanuts and watch the show.

Before I left Colorado, I called Arizona PBS to see if they air the show; they don't but all is not lost because I have tons of shows I recorded and you can watch all of the shows on You Tube so I still do my Saturday night ritual.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:26 AM

AZtight and Buck - thanks, some great info here for me to delve into and research. Already picturing things differently and looking forward to better top water action on my outing next weekend!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:51 AM

Try changing up your strategies a bit. What flies and leader set up are you using? I wouldn't be afraid to go small, like size 18-22 and a long leader from 9-12 feet. If you can't get a strike then maybe they're a little shy and going smaller and lighter will do the trick. I love a griffiths gnat. Resembles nothing but everything. Put some floatant on the fly as well as a few feet of your leader to keep it riding high.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risenfly View Post
Try changing up your strategies a bit. What flies and leader set up are you using? I wouldn't be afraid to go small, like size 18-22 and a long leader from 9-12 feet. If you can't get a strike then maybe they're a little shy and going smaller and lighter will do the trick. I love a griffiths gnat. Resembles nothing but everything. Put some floatant on the fly as well as a few feet of your leader to keep it riding high.
5x fluro tapered, under 6', also tried furled leader with 5x tippet. tried the griffith, BWO, P Adams, EHC, some white winged gnat. Most in the 16 to 18 range, maybe some 20. I think smaller flies, longer and thinner leader/tippet would help or at least be different from current rig?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Yes, with still water, just like with a current you want to reduce drag and a longer, lighter leader will help reduce some of the drag on your flies. Also try mono leader. Fluro will sink on you more than mono. Try to target a specific rising fish and put it in its way. It's a learned way of fishing but once you get the hang of dry flies you won't want to do much else.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:18 AM

My disclaimer prior to providing a thought: a greatly appreciate moving water over still.

The one thing I keep thinking here is the dramatic difference between a fish feeding in the film and on top. If they are in the film the above info about mono and floatant may not be as effective as flouro and fishing what ever you're throwing as wet.

Look closely, are the surface breaks you see really the backs of the fish or are they snagging food open-mouth on top? if you see backs then fish subsurface but not deep. Peace.