Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 AM

Lower Salt River

I spoke to an angler who floats the Salt and fishes with spinning rods. He puts in at the parking area where the road to Saguaro Lake crosses over the Salt then goes downstream a couple of miles. I have forgotten the name of his take out point. He says he does it in inner tubes but I don't know just how these are arranged.

I have a pontoon boat which is powered either by oars or flippers or both. When the weather turns cooler, I may be interested in doing this.

Can someone give me information on what to do and where to go? My problem would probably be not having two vehicles, one at each end of the trip. I would use fly rods and flies.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:24 AM

the are that he is talking about is called blue point. you could float to coon bluff..or phone D

also, you will need to go before they turn the water off.. or it will take you a week to do that stretch! with lots of walking your inflatable in skinny water.

it will take about 4-6 hours to float from blue point to coon bluff, in summer flows.

also, if trout is your target, theres not many in there ( and what are holding over are up higher) until the stocking begins in november, which is when the flows are pretty much nonexistent.

there are tons of bass, suckers, and some really big, tough to fool carp year round.

hope this helps!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:56 PM

Dutchman,

So much for a float trip for trout.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
Dutchman,

So much for a float trip for trout.
yeah.. watch the flows.. sometimes they do some releases out of the dam in winter. fishing is usually real good afterwards as well.

its like beating a dead horse at this point. but it COULD be such an amazing fishery if managed correctly.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:55 PM

So, what is the purpose of game and fish stocking when flows are really low?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:19 PM

I went tubing with my family on a hot day a couple months ago. There was this group of yahoos that started a marshmallow fight. There were marshmallows floating all around us. I found it mildly irritating. I happened to be watching when a marshmallow was swirling around in an eddy and a big carp mouth came up and inhaled it. I'm talking full size marshmallows that are swollen from being in the water. Whoa! I thought I just got lucky seeing that. Then as we drifted I saw it 4 or 5 more times over the course of miles. It got me thinking. I bet these carp are tuned in to food falling in the water when tubers are out. I bet there is an opportunity there.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
So, what is the purpose of game and fish stocking when flows are really low?
there are a few fishable pools (under the bridge at blue point, near the confluence of the verde at phon d., and some "secret" spots that just require a hike) that hold trout even after SRP turns the flows off.

i am not sure how long those stocked trout last, they seem to get eaten up by bass and cormorants before i get there. and of course, you will share a small sliver of water with 20 bait fisherman if you go on the weekend.

the bass fishing is decent, though, and i've seen huge schools of suckers and big carp. it's worth a trip, but be prepared to encounter a ton of trash, loads of horse manure, and lots of people.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 AM

Circlehook,

Regarding marshmallows, you gave me an idea. I have a very good friend in the Denver area who is an accomplished crap (that's right, I said crap) angler. He entered a crap tournament (must be a good one because entry fee is $500) sponsored by Trout Unlimited, which will be held on the South Platte River where it runs through the metro area. I copied and pasted your comments about marshmallows in an email to him and suggested he tie flies resembling marshmallows - joking of course.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Circlehook,

Regarding marshmallows, you gave me an idea. I have a very good friend in the Denver area who is an accomplished crap (that's right, I said crap) angler. He entered a crap tournament (must be a good one because entry fee is $500) sponsored by Trout Unlimited, which will be held on the South Platte River where it runs through the metro area. I copied and pasted your comments about marshmallows in an email to him and suggested he tie flies resembling marshmallows - joking of course.
No joke there. If you wanna catch the fish, you gotta know the forage, even if it's marshmallow, and I love that people hate on carp. Go try and catch one. You might change your mind. Oh and leave the 5 wt at home, unless you like broken Ross.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Dutchman,

Regarding crap, I realized many years ago, I have become a trout snob or what ever you want to call it. I don't like touching fish with large scales. I remember taking a friend to a small lake in Aurora, CO where I caught a perch, which has scales you can feel and see, unlike trout. I was turned off by handling the fish. My dislike of crap started many years ago in Monroe, LA when I was invited to a picnic/fish fry. They only served crap. I wouldn't touch it. A few years ago, the Colorado Division of Wildlife "Outdoor Magazine" published an article on cooking crap. Just looking at the meat in the photos reinforced my belief I would never touch the stuff.

I know they are hard to catch and hard to land and it takes a different set of skills but it isn't for me. I hear stories from my friend who didn't catch a single crap in the eleventh annual Colorado Crap Slam, sponsored by Trout Unlimited. He catches them in the South Platte River in the Denver metro area on a regular basis.

I mentioned in another thread, sometime last year, part of the trout fishing experience is fishing in clear mountain water. Fishing for crap in the South Platte River effluent from the Denver Turd Herders (Denver Metro Sewage) and looking at the high rise buildings downtown is not my cup of tea. Give me just about any scene in the White Mountains and I'm in angler heaven.

My hat goes off to crap anglers for mastering the skills.

Last edited by Bucksnort; 09-24-2017 at 09:15 PM.