Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2017, 08:39 AM

San Juan Shuffle

Is anyone doing the shuffle? Years ago, I heard it is illegal in Colorado. How do you avoid doing the shuffle when you wade in a river or creek? It's impossible.

But the shuffle does work. I was in crystal clear water just above my ankles in the Dream Stream, on a trip a few years ago. About a half dozen very nice rainbows of about 16" or so were literally in front of my toes. I used my wading staff and feet to push them away so I could present a nymph to them but they kept coming back. When I moved to get away from them, they followed me so I hopped up on the bank. I didn't catch any of that bunch.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:59 PM

Yes, the shuffle is illegal. I was up at the San Juan this summer with a guide. He pointed out a group of people who were doing it, and he said that if he wasn't in the middle of our float he would have stopped and gone over and had it out with them. The thing that pissed him off was that the adults were teaching their young boys how to do it.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:02 PM

I guess a game warden would have to directly observe someone doing it. To accuse someone wading and accidentally kicking up sediment and food would be hard to prove it is intentional.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:21 PM

I had a warden check the barb on my fly in the middle of the river on the Juan years ago...so I believe they did watch for "shufflers" and cite them.

Also there was a C&R section, and I heard folks were caught bringing fish downstream to the special regs area and to keep them.

The San Juan was not a good place to violate the laws, not that any place is, because they could sit up with binocs and watch almost anyone in the river, hand out citations to violators.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:20 PM

While the "shuffle" is illegal on the San Juan in New Mexico, it is not prohibited in Arizona.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:47 AM

The worst case I ever saw was on the Uncompahgre in Colorado, a guide was standing about 10 feet above his client, dancing all over the river.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Orbiting Flagstaff

Some less skilled flycasters may find it necessary to use unscrupulous methods to make up for their inadequacies. Perhaps we should find compassion in our hearts for those who cannot catch a fish without cheating or using worms.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:17 PM

I have fished the SJ several times and there were times when I would look down at my feet and there were fish, apparently eating some of the debris I was kicking up.

I really wasn't doing this on purpose, and I don't see how I could've prevented it.

Is the illegal part if I were to somehow try to catch these fish at my feet?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 AM

I've heard of certain guides in ak bringing the shuffle to a new level, pack their gravel guards full of eggs, stand above the run their clients are, and shuffle..
Old 08-28-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYT1 View Post
I have fished the SJ several times and there were times when I would look down at my feet and there were fish, apparently eating some of the debris I was kicking up.

I really wasn't doing this on purpose, and I don't see how I could've prevented it.

Is the illegal part if I were to somehow try to catch these fish at my feet?
It is unavoidable that you will disturb the bottom when wading and the fish naturally will come to your feet. That is not the illegal part. The illegal part comes when you intentionally stir up the bottom and then fish down stream in an effort to catch those fish that you have attracted.

Last edited by SAT; 08-28-2017 at 02:16 PM.