Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 PM

Got up to Canyon Cr a few days ago. The water was a normal summer time moderate level and almost completely clear. Had a little overcast sky-which was good. Followed my own advise above and had a fun day. Never saw another sole (or soul either). Caught a number of nice fish-biggest about a 15 inch brown beauty and didn't see any snakes. How much better can it get.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:01 AM

Hi. I'm new here; I just discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago. I have a question for PaysonLazerLiner... In your post #7, you gave directions to where you park, and I'd like to know if it's the same place I've been parking for the past 10 years or so. I get to the stream by taking 260 to Young-Heber Rd, then FR534 and FR188 to the stream, and park along the road just below the OW Ranch. I don't see any gates or parking lots, and I usually walk downstream about half a mile or so and fish back up. I've done quite well there a couple of times, but usually only a few trout, mostly browns in the 10-11" range, and I've never seen any snakes, rattlers or otherwise; just lucky, I guess. Comments/ suggestions?

Last edited by flyfisher1972; 08-27-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2017, 11:09 PM

ff1972-Even tho you can catch fish all along CC, the section you described just below the OW is quite a ways upstream from where I was talking about, which was downstream of where the road first drops down close to the creek. The exact parking spot was up the hill just before you hit the creek. Watch for the gate at the top of the hill which is opened after April 1 each year and closed when winter snows get too deep. Park in the turnout on the right before you drop off he hill at the gate and look for the trail headed southwesterly down off the hill to the creek. You can get to the section I described almost as quickly simply by parking as soon as the road drops down to the creek and heading downstream. If I recall correctly, there's still an outhouse provided by the G&F sitting there, right as the road gets close to the creek. As always, the further away from the road you get before stringing your rod the less fishing pressure the fish get. Hope that helps. Let me know how you do.
Tight lines.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:04 PM

PLL - Thanks. I think I know where you mean, since it sounds like it's right on the way I come in. I never noticed a gate or parking area there, but I wasn't really looking for one; "stream tunnel vision", I guess. ;-) Anyway, I'll check it out the next time I go, which will probably be in early October (due to heart surgery in May I've been restricted from flyfishing, but that's over). I'll let you know.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:08 PM

Lazer,

Would recommend snake gaiters at CC?
Old 09-01-2017, 06:50 AM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

*laffin*
Old 09-01-2017, 04:16 PM

In spite of reading numerous reports on several threads about running into snakes, I have only seen a couple of snakes in fishing all over rim country and the Whites over the last 30+ years so I may not be the best reference on that question. Having said that, it only takes one moment of "wrong place wrong time" to turn a time of maximum enjoyment into a life and death struggle. Guess I'd just say it's whatever a guy feels OK with. Sure can't hurt tho. Maybe I haven't seen many snakes because I spend a lot of time actually wading in the water as I indicated above. Also, it could be that I'm so single mindedly focused on catching fish that I walked right past a million of them but just didn't know it and was just lucky. No way to know for sure. Most important thing is to just get out there and fish. If it happens that you die doing that, I'd say that's pretty close to the best way to go out that there is. Tight lines.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Went to canyon creek with my brother on Thursday, we hiked from the first bridge to the ow and down till you get to the rebar fence. Literally couldn't catch a cold if I wanted to. The fish were pretty skittish, I stayed well away and stalked up river to them and bam the second you made a wrong step they were outta there. Saw plenty of browns in that stretch but didn't manage any. So we hiked back up to the stocked area and managed 10 bows and one brown. Not a bad day up there especially when the temp was in the high 50's when we got there. I love Canyon creek even though I haven't landed a brown in the multiple time I have been there I'll get one eventually
Tight lines!!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:33 PM

Fished Canyon today. Only fished for a bit as the wife came with and I left her streamside in a camping chair and her Bible study. Parked near the port o john and saw two other cars. TOUGH conditions. mid day, windy and full sun. Hooked up with a few but didnt land. Missed a solid fish when I put my hopper on the water while I jumped a barbed wire fence and turned to look at it just in time to see a nice brown eat and spit. Saw some of the big boys. Creek and fish looked really healthy.

Place humbles me.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:49 PM

I've written before Canyon Creek will put "skunk" on your hands frequently. "skunk" as in I got skunked again on Canyon.
Love that place.

Its humbles everyone.