Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 AM

Your voice in river management

Lee's Ferry Anglers:

May I encourage you to get involved in Glen Canyon Dam operations / Colorado River management plans being presented to the public, currently in Environmental Impact Statement scoping meetings during November, and in the near future? I am worried about future management changes being considered by the Bureau of Reclamation and the National Park Service. As the process goes, the time is right now for the public to get involved. Comments will be accepted until some time in December, but don't wait too long.

Everyone who loves the river, the ecology of the river as it exists today, and the rainbow trout fishery in the river as it exists today, should be aware, involved, and perhaps a little bit alarmed.

Let the river managers know that you value the existence and ecology of rainbow trout in the Colorado river below Glen Canyon Dam. My worry is that the Park Service will get approval for ramping up a process of mechanical removal of rainbow trout from the river. This means electroshocking the river from boats and removing and killing all rainbow trout which float to the surface. Mechanical removal of trout has happened in the Colorado before, especially around the Little Colorado river inflow, but the worry is it will be extended upstream. It is not likely trout removal would be allowed to extend upstream past the Pariah creek and in to Lee's Ferry, but it is still important to push back against these plans.

The Park Service and the Bureau of Reclamation have listened to regional Indian tribes in the past, who do not like this waste and disrespect of life, and they have put a temporary moratorium on electroshocking the river. There is no reason they should not be listening equally as closely and carefully to anglers who love the river, and who actually spend time enjoying the river.

Can you please raise this issue with all angler friends, and people who love the river, and who accept the reality of river conditions. No amount of dam discharge modifications will change the fact of cold, clear water released from Lake Powell. The ecology of the river is perfect for rainbow trout, and short of removing the dam that will not change. Why should we fight nature, which is telling us that rainbow trout are beloved by the river? Why can't we accept and find value in the positive role trout have in the river as it exists? The beneficial effects to overall river ecology (bald eagles, osprey, mergansers, and river otters immediately come to mind) could be researched and approved of.

The argument the river managers have for removing trout is competition or predation on an endangered fish species, the humpback chub. Because we are for rainbow trout it does not mean we are against the humpback chub. There is very little scientific evidence correlating rainbow trout population numbers with chub population decreases. It is the physical conditions of the river which have changed and hurt the chub, not competition with rainbow trout. A revolting, wasteful war on trout does not help chub. And using the trout for fertilizer, as some have suggested, does not lessen the impact of disrespect to life and the river caused by mechanical removal. Push back against the idea of overly aggressive mechanical removal of trout from the river.

If you have the time you can go in person to the upcoming public meetings: Phoenix Nov. 7; Flagstaff Nov. 8; Page Nov. 9; Salt Lake City Nov. 15; Las Vegas Nov. 16; Lakewood, CO Nov. 17. Meeting locations are here:

http://ltempeis.anl.gov/involve/pubschedule/index.cfm

This website is the public portal. Comments can submitted using their online form, a great way to let your voice be heard:

http://ltempeis.anl.gov/index.cfm

Thank You,
Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 AM

I'd like to comment, but I have not been able to get through on any of the sites. Do you have any other site to get through on?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Rod Builder

Same here, I can't get either link to load
Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 AM

Yes, I have noticed it as well. Frustrating. The website must be down temporarily. Might be being worked on. The links are correct, and there is no other place set up to receive comments, as far as I know. Try the link again in a day or two.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 AM

Here is some additional information I got from AZ Game and Fish... looks like the same websites but some additional information on open houses and what not, as well as a snail mail address.

Anglers and other members of the public encouraged to attend
open houses on plans for future Glen Canyon Dam operations

The Arizona Game and Fish Department is encouraging anglers (especially those who fish Lees Ferry) and other members of the public to attend upcoming open houses concerning the proposed long-term plans for the operation of Glen Canyon Dam.

“It is important for you to share your views about the future operations of the dam and their potential impacts to recreational fishing and other wildlife resources,” says AGFD Public Information Officer Rory Aikens.

The meetings will be held at the following locations and dates in the upcoming week:

Phoenix: Monday, Nov. 7, 6 to 8 p.m., Sheraton Crescent Hotel, 2620 W. Dunlap Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85201.
Flagstaff: Tuesday, Nov. 8, 6 to 8 p.m., Radisson Woodlands Hotel Flagstaff, 1175 W. Route 66, Flagstaff, AZ 86001.
Page: Wednesday, Nov. 9, 6 to 8 p.m., Courtyard Page at Lake Powell, 600 Clubhouse Drive, Page, AZ 86040.
Salt Lake City, Utah: Tuesday, Nov. 15, 6 to 8 p.m., Hilton Salt Lake City Center, 255 South West Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84101.
Las Vegas, Nevada: Wednesday, Nov. 16, 6 to 8 p.m., Ramada Las Vegas, 325 East Flamingo Road, Las Vegas, NV 89169.
Lakewood, Colorado: Thursday, Nov. 17, 6 to 8 p.m., Sheraton Denver West Hotel, 360 Union Boulevard, Lakewood, CO 80228.
Web-based meeting: Tuesday, Nov. 15, 1 to 3 p.m. Mountain Time. For specific information about the web-based meeting and how to participate, please refer to the project website at: http://ltempeis.anl.gov.

The Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) and the National Park Service (NPS) are conducting the series of open houses to highlight a proposed long-term plan that will determine the timing and volume of water flows from Glen Canyon Dam, along with future experiments to identify improvements in operations.

Those flows affect hydroelectricity production, beach recreation, fishing, native fish and other river-related plants and animals, as well as archeological sites in Grand Canyon National Park and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.

The public can submit comments by the following methods:

Mail: Glen Canyon LTEMP EIS Scoping, Argonne National Laboratory, EVS/240, 9700 S. Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL 60439.

The Bureau of Reclamation and the National Park Service will accept comments that are received or postmarked by Friday, Dec. 30, 2011.

The long-term plans are designed to address routine operations as well as “experimental” flows that provide additional scientific information about how to protect endangered fish and lessen the effects of dam operations on downstream ecology and other resources – including the Lees Ferry Fishery.

The plan is designed to ensure that regulated flows on the Colorado River meet the goals of supplying hydroelectricity and water for communities, agriculture and industry at the same time they protect the ecological and recreational resources of the Grand Canyon and Glen Canyon.

Work on the new plan, known as the Long-Term Experimental and Management Plan (LTEMP), is the first comprehensive review of Glen Canyon Dam operations in 15 years.

The purpose of this long-term plan is to use current and newly developed science to improve and protect resources of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Grand Canyon National Park, and Lake Mead National Recreation Area while also complying with the Law of the River, the 1992 Grand Canyon Protection Act, the Endangered Species Act, and other applicable laws.

The long-term planning process is designed to determine the need for future modifications to Glen Canyon Dam operations, and whether to establish an Endangered Species Act Recovery Implementation Program for endangered fish species below Glen Canyon Dam.

Changes to dam operations and other actions taken by the Department of the Interior (DOI) will be evaluated as “alternatives” in an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The EIS will document and evaluate impacts of the alternatives.

The public meetings are part of the “public scoping” phase of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process.

Public scoping gives interested individuals and groups the opportunity to comment on a proposed action, recommend alternatives, and to identify and prioritize the issues to be considered in the EIS analyses. Scoping is the earliest, but not the last, opportunity for people to provide input on the Glen Canyon Dam LTEMP EIS.

Each public scoping meeting will include a project overview session (15 minutes) and opportunities for the public to review exhibits, informally discuss issues, and ask questions of technical experts and managers. More information on the meetings will be announced through local media, newsletters, and the project web site: http://ltempeis.anl.gov.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 AM

Just noticed the Phoenix open house is tomorrow at the Sheraton Crescent Hotel from 6 to 8, show up if you can and let your voice be heard.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 PM

This is as important at it gets for the future of Lees Ferry. All the enviros are lining up to try and shut us up and close us down as a fishery. Everyone should try to attend a meeting and voice your opinion. Pass it on.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 PM

I hope some of you can make it Monday night. I'm stuck at work on the East side 'til 7:00, otherwise I would be there. Hope things go our way.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 PM

FYI their website is now back up.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 AM

Folks - if you can please try and attend a meeting. If you can't make it - take a few moments to let your voice be heard by filling out one of the comment forms.

I must say I am generally in support of conservation, but you have to look at it on a case by case basis. Even more and in this case, I don't hate the native fish. I find it hard to hate something just trying to get by and live its life.

However, the proposed remedy of removal of trout does very little to fix the underlying problem of the habitat change. The trout are a function of the change rather than the cause. The discriminant killing of many trout will not restore the suckers. It will, unfortunately, negatively impact local economies and people we know.

It is a lose-lose proposition.