Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 PM

The only time I have fished this stream was years ago just as I started to fly fish. I really had no clue as to what I was doing. I fished up close to the hatchery.

I am trying to follow these instructions on where to park and fish. I see the OW Bridge and 188 following the stream on the stream's west side. What confuses me is the instructions of looking for a trail leading SW from the road along the stream, as SW from the road would lead away from the stream. What am I misunderstanding here?
Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 AM

The OW bridge is the stream boundary where downstream of this bridge is artificial bait only. You can park at any pullout along the road that parallels the stream. Fish it wherever you wish. It all holds beautiful really hard to catch fish.
Right now the water is low and gin clear so they are as spooky as ever and really really hard to catch. Normally Canyon Creek fish are only really hard to catch.
Also be sensitive to the time of year when you fish it so that we have some fry next year.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:14 PM

jchar-As just stated, you can stop anywhere along the creek and fish. If you want to fish where I described above, it might be better just to come down the hill as you come to the creek and stop at the port-a-john and start downstream from there. However, unless you have a really sneaky downstream fishing technique, I recommend you hike downstream as far as you're OK with before you string your rod. Then fish back up. Stay low and slow. Remember, every fish in the stream has been educated all summer long by some pretty good fishers. They all have bachelors or even masters degrees and all the numerous bigger dads have long since earned their doctorate. So none will come easy. Be a ninja. Any high profile or sudden movement will send every fish scurrying for cover (actually, they will already be undercover-that's why you don't see them).But also remember-they are a lot fish in CC, including some real bruisers so be persistent. Don't give up and you will be rewarded. Good luck and tight lines.