Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2011, 01:07 PM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
Hey Dub,
I know that this has been beaten almost to death, but, what about the Salt?

When I was in North Carolina they had a regulation on many streams they called "Delayed Harvest". During the winter months - October 1 to April 30 - they would load them up with catchables and sub-catchables. These streams were catch and release single artificial lure and fly only during those months. May 1 they became catch and keep 5 fish limit by any means because the fish wouldn't last the summer anyway. These regs allowed the best of both worlds, the sport fishermen could find fish to play and the meat fishermen got to fill their freezers, also F&G got more license revenue and didn't waste fish.

I think the Salt would be a perfect candidate for such regs, close to population, beautiful scenery, cold water, and extremely abundant insect life.

The flows right now, while not great, would still support a lot of trout.

Just a thought. For what it's worth.

Thanks for what you do for all of us.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Founding Member

Fly Chef

Fly Chef....this is more a subject you should present to AZG&F. About 12-15 years ago Gary Yamaguchi started a drive to make the Salt a year round "C&R" fishery. He gained a lot of popular support and AZG&F did some quite extensive studies on the matter. They determined that the Salt became too warm towards the end of summer, getting upwards of 70+ degrees and the trout would die. If we have a good winter and ample snowpack the Salt may have enough runoff to support them but in lesser snowpack years there would not be enough runoff for them to survive.
I think a winter "C&R" season would be great but I have worked with AZG&F on past trout issues and "C&R" for the most part is not very popular with the local crowd, especially this close to Phoenix.
Would be nice but I doubt it would fly. It also would add more work to the AZG&F dept to enforce reg's. They are already overloaded and I can guarantee you that if there are BIG trout put in there....there will be poaching.

dub
Old 01-29-2011, 01:56 PM
trout lovin' chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Fly Chef
Dub,
Yup, poaching is a problem for sure, it was in NC too. I talked to a warden over there who busted a mountain local with four 5 gallon buckets of 4-6" brook trout he was hauling out of one of the last wild brookie fisheries in the area. He asked the old knucklehead what he was going to do with all those little trout - the bozo answers "I pickle 'em". Bloody amazing, he didn't even have a fishing license.

Maybe Kelly can weigh in on this if he sees it.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:10 PM

The advantage to Becker is that it can be better patroled and is less likely to be poached. It already has the attention of the G&F.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:07 PM

Carnero, Becker, Crescent, Lee Valley, Tunnel Reservoir, White Mountain Reservoir used to have huge fish, and Sponsellor.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Carnero, Becker, Crescent, Lee Valley, Tunnel Reservoir, White Mountain Reservoir used to have huge fish, and Sponsellor.
Nice dude! You should join the White Mountains Lakes Foundation. They can be that good and better again with a little help.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 AM

I think big lake but only if more people practiced catch and release. I cant believe alot of people in this state they will keep anything whether they plan to it or not.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 PM

I agree with fishman. I grew up in the white mountains and caught some nice rainbows in White mountain res (3+ pounds) . I would add good ole Mexican Hay Lake into the mix as well.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 PM

Do not forget Luna Lake, 3 mi East of Alpine. In the past, it was not uncommon to catch 16 -20in. Rainbows and Cutthroats on any given day. We are currently working to improve the water quality. On Facebook, watch The Friends of Luna Lake where we post activities in the effort. This is a long term project.