Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Beeline Highway

Sorry but this isn't fishing related except that when you head to the hills for fishing, a popular route is the Beeline.

I've seen a lot of beautiful stretches of highway but none as beautiful as the Beeline.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 PM

I have heard several people say the same thing.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:44 AM

Bucksnort- you are so right about the Beeline. When we were out there this past year, driving the Beeline out of Phoenix was one of things that made survival possible for us. Some very impressive mountains there along the way, and Tonto Creek and the lakes are not that far away.
Thank you for reminding me of that road and those places.
Ed
Old 12-09-2017, 08:03 PM

I love being able to see long distances, which is one of the things I like about states west of the Mississippi River and I love the desert. On the Beeline, when you start down a mountain and look way ahead across a deep valley, you see a beautiful curved highway making its way up the next mountain.

I posted the next comment before I left Colorado and that is, tongue in cheek, I wondered who the goofball engineers were that designed the highway so you are driving north or south with opposite traffic on the wrong side of you. I remember the first time my wife and I drove the Beeline to Gilbert. It suddenly dawned on me I may have mad a wrong merge or turn, for a brief moment, until I saw what was really going on. It was a brief moment of panic.

Also, when you drive on 260 past Payson, there are some spectacular views across valleys.

Sorry for posting a non-fishing topic.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:06 PM

And the flora and temperature changes as you gain altitude are spectacular. Arizona residents and visitors are fortunate to be in such a beautiful state.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:29 PM
FJ Cruiser

I've seen the 87 go through a lot of changes over the years. Grandparents had a cabin at the 302 mile marker on the 87. I learned how to drive at 11 years old on the 87 going to Clints Wells. At 13 years old, I'd started driving from Shea & the Beeline to the cabin. Even after all these years I still love to drive the 87. Brings back great memories.