Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Trout Bum In Training

Pyramid Lake

Does anyone have any reports out of pyramid lake this year so far? Secondly.. Would anyone be interested in taking a trip to pyramid in the next two or three weeks? I have a truck with a camper which would eliminate the need for a hotel. Split the gas and it should make a cheap fun trip!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM

I would like to go but it would have to be closer to 3 weeks than 2.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM

We'll be there April 10th. Tons of good reports this year. Dave Hamel has caught two right at 20 lbs. The winning fish in the derby was 17 lbs. Seems like its 50/50 stripping and hanging big chromies under indicators.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Trout Bum In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norty View Post
We'll be there April 10th. Tons of good reports this year. Dave Hamel has caught two right at 20 lbs. The winning fish in the derby was 17 lbs. Seems like its 50/50 stripping and hanging big chromies under indicators.
Is closer to mid April a better idea? Two years ago I went around this time a year and the fishing was a little slow.. Wasn't sure the best time frame to hit it. My job allows me to take off whenever I need so I'm hoping to hit it at the right time this year.

Mudbug.. Send me a PM lets try and work something out.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM

End of March, first of April. Its been a cold year in the West and there is a full Moon the week in March. We'll be towards the end of the good time but I feel confident it will be good still with this cold spring and a new moon when we're there. Its fishing though, all you can do is go and throw the rope....

Last edited by Norty; 03-20-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Robot Monkey Team

http://pyramidlakeflyfishing.com/

Or call Crosby's right at the lake...
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM

Every year is different there, but I've always had better luck in April through early-May than March. When the water hits a certain temperature the fish seem to be in a lot more. One day in May 2009, I was about 50 yards off shore on my ladder and there were hundreds of fish cruising in all directions within casting distance around me. It was one of my favorite fishing experiences ever.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:02 PM

From the above site..

"March 20th

The approach of spring has the Cutthroats thinking spawn at Pyramid. The weather however is a little behind. The water is still pretty cold for the middle of March. The Pelicans have just started to appear on their yearly trip to the lake as well. Fish are being caught all over the lake and are very spread out right now. As of 3-18 the water at the hatchery was not on yet. The weather usually plays the biggest role in the fishing this time of year. Cloudy, windy days are the best and if you can get some chop on the surface it is a plus. Early mornings and late evenings when the sun is off the water can also be a factor. There are some really nice Red male fish starting to show up in the shallows. Pick a spot and give it an hour and see what the wind is doing. Fishing the beaches with a little chop or some rollers is best. Red Maholo nymphs fished under an indicator has been the most consistent bite so far. Mark For and Strike, Scheels in Reno have them and Keine’s in Sacramento also. Casey Ryan of Dallas caught an 11# 14 ounce Male on Sunday using this fly."
Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Fishunter and I will be staying at crosbys April 3-8.
Stoked!!!

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
~ John Gierach
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM

Pyramid Sunday 24th

I am headed there this Sunday-Wed. Excited to get there. I am not a fly-tier yet (5 kids will do it) but wanted to see where I can pick up some of the patterns such as the Red Maholo. I understand Reno Fly Shop closed. Any fly-tiers' on the board want to sell some patterns?