Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 08:29 PM

River Flow Volume

A little help, please.

I learned early that one of the most important decisions I could make before heading for a river or stream is to determine water volume. I was able to use the internet or telephone for determining cubic feet per second in just about any river in Colorado. If Deckers was 300 cfs and Elevenmile Canyon was 100 cfs, I would be in Elevenmile or at a lake.

What about Arizona? Am I likely to find dangerous and unfishable volumes in the Black River or other moving water in the White Mountains? I know about flash floods in Arizona.

Is there a way to determine volume?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:00 AM

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/current/?type=flow
Old 11-14-2018, 08:38 AM

MeLikeFlyFish,

Thank you for this information.

This fall, I fished the Black where it meets road 25 for the first time by wading and hitting pocket water. I don't know what the volume was but it was perfect for me.

Next spring, I am going to the White Mountains for a week of fly fishing. I will fish the main stem of the Black but I don't want to drive 4+ hours to find the Black unfishable. I know there are lakes to fish so the trip wouldn't be wasted but, from my first experience on the Black, this would be my main attraction. I like wading and fishing pocket water but I don't want to wade in dangerous water.

I know runoff depends on snow pack. Does anyone have a feel for what is too high (CFS) on the main stem of the Black? I'm sure this is subject to personal taste.

What I did see at road 25 is if the river isn't safe for wading, there are many pockets fishable from shore.

I'm just trying to learn. Someone once said there are no dumb questions so please bear with me while I learn by asking.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:40 PM

What I look for on the Black is the large pulses. When you get a big pulse, don't go right away. It'll be very muddy. But it is good on the drop.

I wouldn't say there are times where it really unsafe. Maybe at peak runoff.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:12 PM

bgiordano,

Sounds good. I hadn't thought about the Black running off color because of heavy rain. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Black does not have a dam above road 25, is this correct? Dams have good and bad sides. One of the good sides for anglers is clear tail water.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
bgiordano,

Sounds good. I hadn't thought about the Black running off color because of heavy rain. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Black does not have a dam above road 25, is this correct? Dams have good and bad sides. One of the good sides for anglers is clear tail water.
Depends on how you look at that. Big and Crescent Lakes are technically at the very upper end of the watershed. But really, no there aren't any dams on the Black above the 25. I really prefer the Black when it's running higher (not blown out) and off color.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:08 PM

bgiordono,

In terms of cubic feet per second, what is too high for you on the Black? This is the information I need and I agree, I don't like brown water.

I want to be able to access the flow data site, given earlier, to determine what is too high. As I said earlier, in a river like the South Platte, which generally is more robust than the Black but not by much, I preferred flows not exceeding 150 cfs. From what I could see at the bridge on road 25, 150 cfs might be a bit too much. I learned to fly fish on the Platte with flows as low as 30 cfs. I caught fish at that level so low water for me is preferable to too much water.

Oh how I wish I could be 40 years old again so I could explore Arizona's waters more thoroughly.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
bgiordono,

In terms of cubic feet per second, what is too high for you on the Black? This is the information I need and I agree, I don't like brown water.

I want to be able to access the flow data site, given earlier, to determine what is too high. As I said earlier, in a river like the South Platte, which generally is more robust than the Black but not by much, I preferred flows not exceeding 150 cfs. From what I could see at the bridge on road 25, 150 cfs might be a bit too much. I learned to fly fish on the Platte with flows as low as 30 cfs. I caught fish at that level so low water for me is preferable to too much water.

Oh how I wish I could be 40 years old again so I could explore Arizona's waters more thoroughly.
I don't have the magic number for CFS. I avoid the large spikes and base flow conditions.

I understand not loving to fish water that is off-color. But the Black fishing A LOT better when the water is stained.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 AM

Giordano,

Fishing slightly stained water, which I have done many times, allows me to be closer to fish without spooking and it helps cover mistakes in presentation.