Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 AM

Urban Lakes

I used to take my four boys and their friends to El Dorado Pond in Scottsdale a lot, and we always caught fish. Last spring/summer, that lake got blown out with muddy water after some hard rains, and it has been very stained ever since. It just can't seem to clear up. I don't think I've caught a fish there the last 4-5 times we've been there. I know it's one of the "expansion" waters, and doesn't get stocked as much as the other lakes, but it used to be stellar and lately it's been just nada.

Chaparral is closer, but other than sun fish I haven't been able to figure that lake out. The blue/green water is kind of a turnoff. I'm not sure why it looks like that but I'm assuming it's treated with something. We usually release all the fish we catch, but I'd definitely release anything I caught in that lake.

Red Mountain is a neat looking lake that I'm planning to start fishing more, but I don't know much about it other than it looks "fishy" and seems to get a lot of pressure after stockings. We've also checked out Riverview and the lake at Road Runner park but haven't had much luck at either.

Is anyone having any luck at the urban lakes these days?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyC View Post
I used to take my four boys and their friends to El Dorado Pond in Scottsdale a lot, and we always caught fish. Last spring/summer, that lake got blown out with muddy water after some hard rains, and it has been very stained ever since. It just can't seem to clear up. I don't think I've caught a fish there the last 4-5 times we've been there. I know it's one of the "expansion" waters, and doesn't get stocked as much as the other lakes, but it used to be stellar and lately it's been just nada.

Chaparral is closer, but other than sun fish I haven't been able to figure that lake out. The blue/green water is kind of a turnoff. I'm not sure why it looks like that but I'm assuming it's treated with something. We usually release all the fish we catch, but I'd definitely release anything I caught in that lake.

Red Mountain is a neat looking lake that I'm planning to start fishing more, but I don't know much about it other than it looks "fishy" and seems to get a lot of pressure after stockings. We've also checked out Riverview and the lake at Road Runner park but haven't had much luck at either.

Is anyone having any luck at the urban lakes these days?
Hi Kelly, I fished some of the urban lakes last winter during trout stocking and had decent luck at Indian School Park and Road Runner Park. Also met some cool fly anglers who I traded stories with. Also ran into the Desert Fly Casters group practicing one day at Road Runner. They were a nice bunch of folks. Tried Encanto Park a few times but the water was always pretty nasty.

I tried fishing the urban lakes again this winter as trout were being planted, but got really bad vibes from other anglers. I would get yelled at by grumpy old bait fishermen with multiple lines in the water if I so much as approached within twenty yards of 'their' spot. One time I asked another angler how they were doing and they told me they caught six trout. I pointed out that the limit on that lake was two (maybe I should have just said "good job"), and they started full-on yelling at me. The urban lakes just seemed to be full of angry people this year. I've encountered this kind of attitude at the lakes in Central Phoenix and the suburban lakes. So I've stayed away for the most part. Mind you, I never got this vibe from fly anglers. Just the bait fishermen. It also doesn't help that these lakes are pounded - I've gone to a lake 1-2 days after a stocking and the trout are gone. Between the bass (which were stocked in several urban lakes last year and again this year), the cormorants, and the heavy pressure, the stockers don't last long.

There are a couple of park lakes and golf course ponds near me that I'll still fish, but they aren't stocked with anything. I target bluegill and bass rather than trout, catch a lot, especially the summer. The crowds are smaller and the anglers I meet at those ponds are usually much friendlier. If I get the itch to catch a fish in moving water, and I don't have time to go up north or to the Rim, I'll usually chase bass and bluegill in the Salt or Gila.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:49 AM
Always Improving

The lakes in Payson are fishing pretty well at the moment, especially for crappie. Another good spot are the ponds in Dead Horse State Park. Lots of fun action for trout and crappie.

These might be a bit further than what you're looking at, but these urban waters are doing well.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM

Thanks guys. I haven't experienced any run-ins with other fishermen yet, but I haven't been out very much yet either. I would like to get up to Payson and Dead Horse sometime this spring. I've fished Dead Horse once in the past and enjoyed it, but I've never fished the Payson lakes. I want to go check out the four lakes in Gilbert soon, just for a change of scenery.