Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 10:13 PM

Chevelon Canyon

My son and I hiked down telephone trail last saturday to fish Chevelon Creek. Our first trip down to the creek and what a beautiful canyon. Things looked pretty promising with all the big pools and a good amount of water flowing. My son kept telling me about pictures of big browns he saw as we hiked down. After about three hours of fishn and no fish and not even seeing one we lost the wind out of our sails. I told him I would post something and find out if any one is dialed in to this stream. We haven't giving up yet. Pretty good hike out for a sixty four year old.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:09 AM

Chevelon is beautiful and just as equally challenging. The fish are there. You have to be extra stealthy and make longer casts with longer leaders in many areas. Nice day to spend with your son!
Old 02-15-2018, 09:38 AM
Learning as we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT View Post
Chevelon is beautiful and just as equally challenging. The fish are there. You have to be extra stealthy and make longer casts with longer leaders in many areas. Nice day to spend with your son!
100% agree with this. They are in there but definitely require stealth. In my experience here in AZ, stealth has been more of a factor at Chevelon than a lot of other places. I start with a 9ft leader and usually add 2-3 feet of tippet before I tie on my first fly. Except when fishing streamers in the fall. Move slow and analyze your approach before your first cast and make that first one count. This early in the year you will want everything to be a little slower anyway. It's a beautiful place that has humbled me more than once. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 AM

It's a place to more so stalk and hunt vs fish. Lots of hiking, patience, watching and reading the water there. This time of year the fish are not real active combined with how spooky they are it's a difficult place to fish. The populations are spotty as well especially in this drought.

Check out the lake first, both ends. Lots of fish there.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:14 AM

I am impressed that you got into the stream in February. Usually this time of year, the road is gated right where you turn right to go to Woods Canyon Lake. Was the road muddy?

FYI - I went in November and found fishing equally difficult. Just real hard to fish with the brush on both sides of the stream and the deep slow moving pools. Saw some nice fish, but they ended up being long gone before I could get close. For those that go there and cast with a 9' leader and 3' tippets, all I can say you are excellent fishermen as I find the pines and brush that are up close to the stream difficult to deal with with long leaders.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchar85719 View Post
Usually this time of year, the road is gated right where you turn right to go to Woods Canyon Lake.
jchar85719, if you are not aware, another route into Chevelon can be taken by driving to Heber.

As you drive past the first Circle K on your right, FR504 will appear on your left, or north side of the highway.

Turn here going to FR 169, which will take you back down towards Chevelon. Kind of a lengthy dirt road in all, but when the gates on the Rim Road are shut and locked, this is another alternative in hunting up some nice browns.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 02-18-2018, 06:37 PM
Learning as we go

Quote:
For those that go there and cast with a 9' leader and 3' tippets, all I can say you are excellent fishermen as I find the pines and brush that are up close to the stream difficult to deal with with long leaders.
Don’t get me wrong, I have broken off many flies in that brush on the banks. But I found when I was fishing shorter leaders up there, that the fly line landing on the water closer to the fish that I was spooking the fish before they even got a look at my fly. I had to go to longer leaders especially in those slower glassy pools. I agree with the comment that this place is more like stalking and hunting rather than fishing. Armed with those long leaders, I usually only get a dozen or so methodically planned out casts during a day of fishing after I have carefully moved into a decent casting position. It really tests your abilities as an angler.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 AM

Agree with all the above but, will add that a good stiff breeze is your friend down there... breaks up the top of those slow pools and camouflages the cast. I've also done well with casting and then allowing my fly to sit for a LONG time, then, when a bruiser cruises by give that wooly bugger or SSL the twitch to come to life. A good roll cast with the wind at my back is nice. A traditional cast with the wind at back or head-on is good.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:23 PM

Fantastic insights. If you fishing a long 9' leader with a two or three foot tippet, what x tippet are you using when fishing the streamers, semi seal leaches, etc. I have always had great difficulty fishing those larger flys on long leaders..
Old 02-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Learning as we go

Quote:
Fantastic insights. If you fishing a long 9' leader with a two or three foot tippet, what x tippet are you using when fishing the streamers, semi seal leaches, etc. I have always had great difficulty fishing those larger flys on long leaders..
Yeah that's why I said in my first post that I fished long leaders except for streamers. Long leaders just have a hard time turning over a streamer, especially weighted cone heads and the like. When I fish streamers up there I usually use a 2x or 3x fluoro leader. I'll start with a 9' leader and depending on conditions I might cut it back a bit to help the fly turn over. One of these days I might invest in a sink tip line to get down a little deeper and quicker in some of those large pools. But if I'm fishing dries, a dry dropper rig, or straight nymphing I usually start with a 3x nylon leader and the tippet might be 4x fluoro or even a small piece of 4x down to another piece of 5x. I have heard guys talk about tying fluro to nylon and it not being strong enough. I've never had a problem with it. I've even straightened the hook on a couple bruisers but the knots never failed.

But that's the mystery of Chevelon. Knowing there are some monsters in there (with my own two eyes I was 5 feet away from a brown that would have come dang close to 30") you would want to use heavier leaders/tippet to horse them out of their hiding places. But you may not even get a take of your gear is too heavy. That's why you stalk those areas. Watch fish behavior and look for actively feeding fish if you can. It may make it a bit easier to land a heavier leader on the water.