Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > General Bass Discussion

Old 03-27-2018, 07:05 PM

Would this Terrestrial be effective to catch bass?

I made this terrestrial fly up a few years back for a fly-tying contest at a South-East Fly-tying contest. I didn't win anything but I thought I did a fair job of replication of a tent caterpillar. I always wondered if it would be effective fly for LM bass or trout or Croppy.

[IMG]http://www.azflyandtie.com/photopost...Catapillar.jpg[/IMG]

This is a photo I entered to show 2 in a natural setting.

[IMG]http://www.azflyandtie.com/photopost...tapillars1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-29-2018, 06:23 PM

Those look awesome. Have caught bass on hopper and beetle patterns. I don't see why those wouldn't work!
Old 03-29-2018, 09:30 PM

Just returned from Arivaca Lake...saw numerous tent caterpillars in/on their nests..about 1-1/1/2", black with white/grey legs down the slender body. The bodies are straight, same diameter, not tapered all the way down.

Your pattern looks great, will float well. My imitations so far, fished successfully on a couple of occasions last summer, have consisted of woolly worms, palmered hackles with brown, black and olive bodies, size 10-12 streamer hooks. Threw them on floating or intermediate lines, let them sink a bit.

Had trouble getting them to float, with the heavier hooks, but I will experiment a bit this year, as the large (10-13") redears and bluegills love them..and the occasional bass. When there were floating rafts of bark and debris washed in Pena Blanca from Monsoon rains, fish hung underneath and slammed anything that looked like a caterpillar.