Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 AM

Haigler

Is anyone planning on attending the meetings on Haigler next week. Here's the link.

http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/News...er-Creek.shtml

Last edited by RIMFISHER; 11-21-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the post. The big Browns are over a mile downstream from this project because the prime habitat is much further downstream.

Last edited by joe; 11-14-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Joe, which section is this project going to be limited to? Upstream from Fisherman's Point?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Unfortunately, I have a job and these meetings are out of practical reach at these times and places. But you can bet yurass that somebody is gonna hear from me about this proposition.

Yes, this is upper Haigler they are talking about, a coupla miles from the the canyon section that tumbles toward Tonto Creek.

It is well chronicled that the lower sections of Haigler harbor some large Browns in an area where accessibility can be quite difficult.

The upper section is no cakewalk, either. Climbing skills are a requirement and canyoneering helpful.

In my opinion, Upper Haigler Creek is one of very very few places in Arizona capable of producing a 20" WILD RAINBOW TROUT, as well as Brown Trout.

Do we really need to chemically poison this unique Arizona fishery to introduce some puny fragile trout that may or may not adapt to a new environment?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:12 PM

Rimfisher,
Upstream from the uppermost private land
Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 PM
It's All About The Lips

Damn trash fish.

Chub rule!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:07 PM

poisoning rivers is always a good idea I thought?!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM

This will effect the whole fishy stretch, even down the canyon.

Lets restore non native native fish to Haigler where they've never been before!

Lots of other water to experiment with. Wild trout are hard to come by in AZ, lets kill off a great population of them.... bad idea imo.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:01 PM

The Gila trout was native to the Gila River and its tributaries. All rivers south of the top of the rim once flowed into the Gila river, minus the Santa Cruz. If the fish could live in low of elevation as the Gila river you can bet it lived in Haigler. I would be for this if: A) This section of the creek was catch and release immediately and had some larger fish stocked along with fingerlings. B) There is a well made screen dividing the Gila section from the rest of the river, with weekly visits to make sure it is still working. C) no poison, I would like to see a month long shocking done after the screen is installed and all shocked fish being relocated down stream of it.

My reasoning is as followed. I am tired of not being able to fish a stretch of stream due to a native fish stocking. I haven't been able to fish Dude creek for along time and studies show the fish that where stocked aren't even reproducing. So open it back up. P.S. I hate the sun dance minnow. This will never work if big browns are allowed to feast on the newly stocked Gila's. Lastly life should never be waisted, with enough support and volunteers there is no reason why game and fish can't get 99% of the fish life moved out of the area. Extra fish shocking during the years that follow will help to see how the Gila's are doing and also aid in moving the other species out.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:22 PM

I would encourage all those to make contact to G&F and voice your opinion. Personally I don't support this reintroduction of native fish and certainly not if it involves poisoning. I don't care what they say but that certainly always makes it downstream and has been known to not be reliable in its concentrations, recall what occurred in Greer where it wiped out a lot more fish than planned. All this equates to one less, quality brown/rainbow trout fishery. It is a shame to destroy a productive population of wild fish, both in quality and quantity.

Tags
bring back the chub, car salesman, seaworld, stockers r us