Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando View Post
There are actually quite a few strains of rainbows that are native to the US. Steelhead, Redbands, Goldens, Beardslee..................
That was a lot of typing, and some finer points got left out. When I said in parenthesis not native to US I was referring to the browns. Rainbows and Brookies are native to the US, but not AZ. Its tough to get out full thoughts and keep things brief and readable at the same time......sorry for that!
Old 11-03-2015, 11:47 PM

The Upper Haigler Creek project has pretty much fallen off of the radar but I was recently told that this proposed project has been "unofficially" cancelled-just in case anyone was wondering like I was.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 AM

Did you hear that through G&F or contractors that had connections with the project?
Old 11-04-2015, 05:25 PM

I was told that by Kurt Gill in the Mesa Office. I called him a few days ago. In summary he said that "the project has been put on the back burner but there was little chance it would be brought forward again." Also he said that the entire public notice process would have to be restarted if the Dept did want to bring it forward again. Sadly, however, it wasn't the opposition from those of us fishers that adamantly opposed this senseless project, but rather opposition from the home owners with wells, mostly in the Haigler Creek subdivision, that proved to be the main force that derailed it. Bottom line-I'm just greatly relieved that the proposal appears to be stopped regardless of the reason.
Just an additional FYI-I have hiked down into upper Haigler four times last month and had a great time. I didn't catch any big fish but managed to catch 10-12 nice little beauties, all under about 13 inches, in each of those trips. All on dries, mostly on foam hoppers.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonLazerLiner View Post
I was told that by Kurt Gill in the Mesa Office. I called him a few days ago. In summary he said that "the project has been put on the back burner but there was little chance it would be brought forward again." Also he said that the entire public notice process would have to be restarted if the Dept did want to bring it forward again. Sadly, however, it wasn't the opposition from those of us fishers that adamantly opposed this senseless project, but rather opposition from the home owners with wells, mostly in the Haigler Creek subdivision, that proved to be the main force that derailed it. Bottom line-I'm just greatly relieved that the proposal appears to be stopped regardless of the reason.
Just an additional FYI-I have hiked down into upper Haigler four times last month and had a great time. I didn't catch any big fish but managed to catch 10-12 nice little beauties, all under about 13 inches, in each of those trips. All on dries, mostly on foam hoppers.
Thank you for great news! But I don't know how you stomached Mr. Grill on the phone as I found him to be a nauseating speaker at the Haigler meetings.

Your catch might have topped at 13" last month, but know you had to spy some bruisers in your stream travels.

Anybody know how to contact banned Bama Ron?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:58 PM

LOL, he was pretty hot about this one. Can't remember which side he was on just that he was wound up pretty good.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:55 PM

Actually I didn't see any of the monsters in the recent trips to Upper Haigler but I have seen them on prior treks there and can assure all that this stretch of stream not only holds some monsters-both bows and browns, but is a truly pristine and beautiful piece of our world. The existing fish there are the offspring of many generations of naturally reproducing, self-sustaining survivors that have more than proved their metal with absolutely no help from us or our "leaders". If there is 3 miles of stream anywhere that deserves our support for its protection and preservation in its current awesome, wild state, it's Upper Haigler and none of us, including our gov't "overseers", have the moral authority to poison or otherwise remove them under some misguided notion that their value is less than another fish (like the gila trout).
As for Bama Ron's position, if you read any of his prior posts I'm sure you would see that he took a very aggressive, take no prisoners stand against "cleansing" Upper Haigler. Using this proposed project as an example he made it clear that we all have to hold our agencies accountable for their proposals and actions and call it out when they head down what we believe to be the wrong path. Unquestionably, he would have been very pleased to find out that this ill advised proposal appears to be terminated. Who knows, maybe he does know. I hope so.
Tightlines
Old 11-06-2015, 10:51 AM

PLL,

You are entitled to your opinion but that is not the opinion of conservationists across the USA who also own the property.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:19 PM

If you review all the prior pages of posts listed here it is obvious that the large majority of folks posting opinions and thoughts were clearly opposed to this project so I'm clearly not alone in my opinions. Having said that, I completely respect your right to disagree, just as you did for me. I believe that is exactly why this site exists, to share opposing views and possibly find some common ground that could allow projects like attempting to reestablish an endangered species like the GT to go forward. For example, had G&F been willing to live capture and relocate the existing fish below the proposed barrier, work out an agreement with the ranch owners of the property just below the barrier and then make that entire section of the stream from the barrier down the road crossing catch and release, I could have supported this proposal. Unfortunately our G&F was not willing to entertain any approach other than the simplistic approach of just poisoning the existing stream. They couldn't even agree to simply relocate the existing fish below the proposed barrier and at least give them a chance at surviving because that could be interpreted as relocating them. Sorry be that is just too self righteous and narrow minded for me to get on board with. Who are we to make such a decision? I'm sure you have your own reasons for your support of this project and ,as stated above, I wholeheartedly respect them. In fact, just the fact that everyone that has posted here was willing to take the time and energy to express an opinion shows that we all have some common ground. Hopefully we can all remember that everyone that posts here must love our sport and the piscatorial beauties that we pursue and would likely agree on most issues.
Tightlines

Tags
bring back the chub, car salesman, seaworld, stockers r us