Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > Rod Building

Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 AM

Bamboo Rebuild Project

I just finished a rebuild project that turned out to be pretty interesting and fun. I started with a 9' H-I bamboo rod in pretty good shape but wanted a small stream bamboo rod. I cut the butt section down to accommodate the ferrule, a new grip, and reel seat. I then stripped the mid and two tip sections with a razor blade. The ferrule were in great shape so I cleaned and reset those. I wrapped all new guides and then finished the rod. It came out to 6' 11" and casts a 5 weight line great. Looking forward to getting it out on a creek soon. Has anyone here done this or something like it before? I am interested to see if there are other things that can be done with all those old, almost worthless production rods.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:55 AM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

I'm currently refinishing an nearly 100 year old winchester rod. will be dipping it next week. nice work on that banty.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:05 PM

Thanks Mr Blur. Coincidently my next project is a Winchester Hop Brook. Not sure of the age but it's pretty old and not in very good shape.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:23 PM

I love the conversion of it to a small stream rod! That’s sweet!
Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 AM

Really nice job canepole. I always look for old bamboo rods at garage sales and thrift shops. Never thought about repurposing them to a different rod though. Might have to rethink that.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:04 PM

I did something a little different on my "dad's old pole" project. Found a female ferrule that would fit the mid section and mounted it in the handle. With it being just 2 pieces, it's happy with a wf4 and the only thing I'm not happy with is I am scared that little break on't stand up to a big fish, so make sure I just use it in places that shouldn't harbor any bruisers. Sure is fun with the little guys.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:52 AM
Always Improving

Nice work!

Roughly 20 years ago I was gifted an antique South Bend 9', unknown weight/action rod, without any guides.

I may need to have one of the board members re-purpose it for a small stream rod as well.

Something for me to think about, that's for sure.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"