Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2015, 02:55 PM

Canyon, Tonto, Horton Creeks

Hi All,

This is my first post, so take it easy on me.

Just got my first fly rod and after some casting practice and stocking up on a variety of flies I headed up to Canyon Creek this weekend for the first time. Went straight to the lower section below the OW Bridge just to check things out since it was already late in the day. The water looked too good to pass up so I decided to try a few spots. Before I could even wet my line, as I was walking along one of the paths along the stream I hear a loud rattle and I stop in my tracks. After some poking in the grass just in front of me with my rod tip I get a few more rattles. Sure enough I see a dark black tail and rattle slither off deeper into the grass. I would have kept going if the girlfriend wasn't with me, but she wasn't having anything to do with that section of the stream after that. Managed to talk her into letting me fish one good hole before we left, but to no avail.

Next day headed to the upper section near the hatchery. Lots of people yelling/screaming/splashing all around. Came across a group at the uppermost stocking spot and overheard one guy ask his friend "Where's that nice brown I caught?" With his friend replying "It's in my backpack!" Then the same group proceeded to throw bacon into the hole to try to entice the fish. So that was unfortunate. Saw lots of fish but they weren't all that eager to bite with the crowds. The girlfriend sill managed a few stockers here and there above and below the bridge with her spinning rod on a small jig head.

Next day stopped at Tonto on the way home. No luck there, with every decent spot being occupied or fished out. Then decided to head up Horton for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a nice little stream with its many picturesque waterfalls. Managed one nice little spunky 11" brown before I could get very far upstream. Then a storm rolled in and we were forced to head home. My first fish on the fly rod! All fish were released.

Thinking about trying Haigler next. Or just any spot where I can somewhat get away from the crowds. Any advice on either would be appreciated!

Tight Lines!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:11 PM

Welcome,

The Access Principle:
More driving + More hiking = Less Crowds (generally speaking)

Also don't forget the Comfortability Corollary:
Poor Weather = Less Crowds
Old 08-24-2015, 03:18 PM

And just because you said "Girlfriend", don't forget Skroobs laws of marriage and make sure you rectify them prior to:

Marriage =/= Boat

Marriage =/= New Gear

Marriage =/= Free Time

Only to be outdone by the Children Hypothesis

Kids = (Sanity x Fishing x Hunting)^-1; however it only lasts for about 5 years per child, being reset every time the goalie heads to the bench in the waining minutes of a tight game.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:38 PM

Welcome and congrats on your first fish on the fly! Horton is a great little creek. I'm very glad that the regulations were changed to catch and release only!

Like Salty stated, the harder the access the fewer the people and the fishing gets better. Looking forward to some reports.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:10 PM

Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to post a report. Sorry your first couple trips didn't get off to a stellar start, but it sounds like you were still able to get some nice experiences out of it. Nothing wrong with an 11" brown to get you started; The first of many hopefully.

As the other guys have noted, one of your best ways to find quality water, especially on highly pressured waters is to do some walking. Getting away from the parking lots and easy access almost always leads you to a more enjoyable day.

One of the best things about flyfishing is that it is a lifelong learning experience if you want it to be. There is always something new to learn, improve upon, or try out. While you can consult books and videos (and you should) an excellent way to grow as a flyfisherman will be to spend time on the water. Be observant, be slow and methodical, and be... observant. turn over rocks, spend some time just sitting back on the bank watching the activity in the pools, etc.

Don't hesitate to talk to flyfisherman on the water. While you may run into the occasional jerk, overall your fellow flyfisherman will be some of the nicest and most generous folks you can run into.

Best of luck, and tight lines. For those of us who can't get out as often as we'd like, keep the reports coming.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to post a report. Sorry your first couple trips didn't get off to a stellar start, but it sounds like you were still able to get some nice experiences out of it. Nothing wrong with an 11" brown to get you started; The first of many hopefully.

As the other guys have noted, one of your best ways to find quality water, especially on highly pressured waters is to do some walking. Getting away from the parking lots and easy access almost always leads you to a more enjoyable day.

One of the best things about flyfishing is that it is a lifelong learning experience if you want it to be. There is always something new to learn, improve upon, or try out. While you can consult books and videos (and you should) an excellent way to grow as a flyfisherman will be to spend time on the water. Be observant, be slow and methodical, and be... observant. turn over rocks, spend some time just sitting back on the bank watching the activity in the pools, etc.

Don't hesitate to talk to flyfisherman on the water. While you may run into the occasional jerk, overall your fellow flyfisherman will be some of the nicest and most generous folks you can run into.

Best of luck, and tight lines. For those of us who can't get out as often as we'd like, keep the reports coming.
Welcome!! This is spot on advice right here!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post

This exactly. Welcome to the site.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 PM

ya this is the place for info we are allways glad to help out good luck
Old 08-24-2015, 10:44 PM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

you guys make me sick. j/k
Old 08-25-2015, 10:15 AM

Saw my first rattler of the year on Lower CC a couple of weeks ago. The other fishermen I talked to had seen them on both sides of the creek. The one we saw was pretty big and black. Couldn't see it at first. I've fished that creek for years and seen two bears but never a rattler. Be careful. I can't recall anyone talking about snake encounters down there in the past. Anyone else?