Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Ben Wannabe

Oak creek Dec 1

Fished oak creek this weekend and I have to say, I don't know why but the beauty of the creek really hit me this weekend. It was spectacular. From the bald eagle fly by to the fantastic fishing. These pics do not do them justice, the colors where so vivid! The Browns where hitting on top - beetles & ants, the bows where taking the dropper - bwo emerger pattern.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM

I need to hit up Oak Creek, never fished it, but river and streams are the best way to fish trout in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM

Very cool man!

Streams are my fav also.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM

nice! had similar results on friday. mini hoppers,FBPT's and black zebra midges worked for me.

ended my day when I ran into a spin fisherman fishing the river backwards, standing in the holes and runs dipping a crayfish in the water..

I want to love oak creek. its beautiful. the fish are smart, making it challenging.. Im just yet to go there and not be completely irritated by the other people i encounter on the stream. Its like fishing in Disneyland.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM

I have fished Oak Creek several times in the past years but i have always gone to the upper end near the Cave Springs campgrounds and have only had marginal success on little rainbow trout. It has been at least 2 years since I last fished it. I have yet to ever catch a brown trout. Would anyone be willing to tell me where a good spot along that creek to fish and possible catch a brown? If not I understand the honeyhole rules. Or if yes, please send by PM so not to blast it over the universe.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM

Lostdutch, I completely agree with you. I stopped hitting up Oak Creek in the high season because I could not take the behavior of the multitude of morons and dopey tourists that pass through Sedona. Ive seen it all, from kids throwing rocks in pools I was fishing to adults with kids jumping into pools (with friggan rafts) that I was standing on the edge and about to fish. Personally I think Slide Rock state park should be closed….as in permanently…
Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Ben Wannabe

It really depends on when & where I go. Often I will see no one at all. Other times... Sunrise till 11 or so is always the best. And off season is fantastic.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdutchman View Post
nice! had similar results on friday. mini hoppers,FBPT's and black zebra midges worked for me.

ended my day when I ran into a spin fisherman fishing the river backwards, standing in the holes and runs dipping a crayfish in the water..

I want to love oak creek. its beautiful. the fish are smart, making it challenging.. Im just yet to go there and not be completely irritated by the other people i encounter on the stream. Its like fishing in Disneyland.
Sounds like my experiences at the San Juan.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Oak Creek Angler sure knows that place.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 PM

FWIW, living here and all, simply avoid the weekends. The past month not withstanding, I've averaged at least , at least 3 days per week on the creek for the year, and have encountered less than 6 other fishermen - for the year.