Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2019, 06:23 AM
Always Improving

Decisions...decisions...

I've received a hall pass for the day and anxious to hit one of the Rim lakes for some much needed R&R.

My dilemna is which body of water to hit?

Do I want to target Tiger's in Willow Springs and discover where they are with all that water to cover?

Do I want to target Tiger's in Woods Canyon where I know to find them? See how big they've become since Christmas 2018?

Or do I want to find the solitude of Bear Canyon? Perhaps go see if there are grayling still lurking in one small section of the lake?

And there's always the possibility of going for the Brown's in Knoll Lake. Last fall I was catching some zesty Rainbows just uplake from the boat ramp...before that big, nasty supercell hit the lake and forced me under a roack outcropping for the better part of an hour...

My gears all packed other than inflating the V-tube.

I feel like Charlton Heston in the movie Moses, when he is given choice of Jethro's 7 daughters...

Decisions...decisions...decisions

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 05-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Seems pretty clear: Tigers + Woods = Woods Lake
Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztightlines View Post
Seems pretty clear: Tigers + Woods = Woods Lake
Yup, I should have gone with my gut feeling, but Willow Springs has long invaded my inner thoughts covering peace and tranquility. (No loud shouting from the shoreline which is common at Woods Canyon Lake)

The winds were a bit rougher than expected, making it tough to stay on track in the Caddis tube.

But, I did manage a Rainbow and Largemouth Bass on a Green Weenie! The way that trout was viciously fighting my rod and whipping me in circles made me think I definitely had a Tiger on the end of the line. It's been quite a while since my rod had such a serious bend to it. Nope, just a very amped up Rainbow trying to get away from me. BTW, both fish were a healthy 14" with shoulders.

Due to the winds, I cut my trip short by 4 hours as the fun factor just wasn't there...

Now I see the winds are in the mid-single digit category for Woods Canyon today, we'll see how the day develops and if I can sneak away once again.

Lots of shore anglers in places I've never seen them before as well. Makes it kind of tough to go searching for the Tiger's in the shallows when one might be crossing their lines.

Saw a couple of eagles chasing an Opsrey over the lake as well. Seems as if the Osprey had taken a nice fish and eventually dropped it, after which the eagles left it alone. I didn't think that fish was very big, until it hit the water about a hundred feet away. The size of the splash and sound makes me wonder just how big that fish actually was. Kind of sounded like a broad anvil hitting the water on its side. Regardless, it was pretty cool to watch.

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"

Last edited by david vaughn; 05-03-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david vaughn View Post
Yup, I should have gone with my gut feeling, but Willow Springs has long invaded my inner thoughts covering peace and tranquility. (No loud shouting from the shoreline which is common at Woods Canyon Lake)

The winds were a bit rougher than expected, making it tough to stay on track in the Caddis tube.

But, I did manage a Rainbow and Largemouth Bass on a Green Weenie! The way that trout was viciously fighting my rod and whipping me in circles made me think I definitely had a Tiger on the end of the line. It's been quite a while since my rod had such a serious bend to it. Nope, just a very amped up Rainbow trying to get away from me. BTW, both fish were a healthy 14" with shoulders.

Due to the winds, I cut my trip short by 4 hours as the fun factor just wasn't there...

Now I see the winds are in the mid-single digit category for Woods Canyon today, we'll see how the day develops and if I can sneak away once again.

Lots of shore anglers in places I've never seen them before as well. Makes it kind of tough to go searching for the Tiger's in the shallows when one might be crossing their lines.

Saw a couple of eagles chasing an Opsrey over the lake as well. Seems as if the Osprey had taken a nice fish and eventually dropped it, after which the eagles left it alone. I didn't think that fish was very big, until it hit the water about a hundred feet away. The size of the splash and sound makes me wonder just how big that fish actually was. Kind of sounded like a broad anvil hitting the water on its side. Regardless, it was pretty cool to watch.

Ahh the expert hunter, the bald eagle. Poor osprey do the work.

Glad the Rainbow tugged you around a bit.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:10 PM

David,

For many years, I have had the same problem - where to fish. One day, I realized that living in a country where you and I have to make such difficult decisions is wonderful when you think about how some people on this planet don't know where there next meal will come from.