Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2019, 05:06 PM
david vaughn's Avatar
david vaughn david vaughn is offline
Always Improving
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Payson
Posts: 1,306
Willow Springs is...

ICE FREE!

Friday afternoon I happened to be in the area, and took the short drive into the Day Use area (MP 284). Temps were in the low 50's around 3:00pm with light winds.

Went all the way to the end of the roadway, noting that all the snow/ice I saw on Tuesday was totally gone!

Walked down to the lake shore immediately adjacent to the parking area, finding a good put-in spot for my Caddis V-tube. Guess one could easily bring their tube, toon, kayak and/or canoe to the same spot...

While at the foot bridge on the southern end of the lake, I saw several rainbows actively feeding both above and below the bridge itself.

Kinda wished I followed that impression of bringing my fly rod...

Regardless, guess where I'm headed early next week?
__________________
- David

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Levisdad Levisdad is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Chandler AZ
Posts: 27
Is the lake full ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-30-2019, 11:54 PM
M Lopez M Lopez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pinetop, Arizona
Posts: 175
Yes, all the rim lakes are full.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2019, 09:12 AM
Tying2Fly's Avatar
Tying2Fly Tying2Fly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,519
I have been up to that parking area and fished from the shore on the west leg many times, but I have thought about trailing across the finger to the east leg of Willow Springs lake to see how it fishes and also because I figure there is less people that make it over to that side. Anyone else from the forum here that have ventured to the eastern leg?
__________________
Tim- In search of: ><(((((*> ~~o------------------------------------

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2019, 05:24 PM
M Lopez M Lopez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pinetop, Arizona
Posts: 175
I heard the main road to the boat ramp was opened today (April 2, so that's no April Fools joke).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2019, 07:12 AM
david vaughn's Avatar
david vaughn david vaughn is offline
Always Improving
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Payson
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying2Fly View Post
I have been up to that parking area and fished from the shore on the west leg many times, but I have thought about trailing across the finger to the east leg of Willow Springs lake to see how it fishes and also because I figure there is less people that make it over to that side. Anyone else from the forum here that have ventured to the eastern leg?
Years ago when we had our little 14' AlumaCraft, we would routinely venture into the eastern leg of Willow. Lots of BIG BOY largemouth bass and nice sized crappie in that section of the lake.

Since I have now focused on mainly trout fishing, and specifically Tigers, it's been a minute since I've floated into the eastern portion of Willow Springs. My focus has been on the western leg and shoreline, with very little bug tossing at or near the dam.

When we first started fishing WS in the very early 80's, I caught a brown or two just east of the dam, but nothing since.

Some of the biggest bass I've ever seen and/or caught were in the eastern finger. Definitely some brutes over there...
__________________
- David

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2019, 07:20 AM
david vaughn's Avatar
david vaughn david vaughn is offline
Always Improving
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Payson
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Lopez View Post
I heard the main road to the boat ramp was opened today (April 2, so that's no April Fools joke).
It wouldn't surprise me at all. From what I could tell, there was no real impediments keeping vehicles off that side of the lake. Think I'll take a ride later today...
__________________
- David

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2019, 02:03 PM
david vaughn's Avatar
david vaughn david vaughn is offline
Always Improving
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Payson
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by david vaughn View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all. From what I could tell, there was no real impediments keeping vehicles off that side of the lake. Think I'll take a ride later today...
Update - - - I can confirm that the main road into Willow Springs is in fact, open and the boat ramp is usable. However, I wouldn't recommend using the dock as it is roughly 25' away from the ramp.

Unless you're a really good long jumper, I would suggest not trying to use the dock at all...
__________________
- David

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Tying2Fly's Avatar
Tying2Fly Tying2Fly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,519
OK, I got a Friday off (tomorrow ) so my plan is to head up to Willow Springs Lake for the day and see what I can do. I will most likely go where I usually do on this lake, but I might take a float-tube that I have had for a year now and it is still new and never in the water yet. Yet I might also venture to the east leg of the lake to try it out. Anyway it will be my 1st outing this year.
__________________
Tim- In search of: ><(((((*> ~~o------------------------------------

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 AM
david vaughn's Avatar
david vaughn david vaughn is offline
Always Improving
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Payson
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying2Fly View Post
OK, I got a Friday off (tomorrow ) so my plan is to head up to Willow Springs Lake for the day and see what I can do. I will most likely go where I usually do on this lake, but I might take a float-tube that I have had for a year now and it is still new and never in the water yet. Yet I might also venture to the east leg of the lake to try it out. Anyway it will be my 1st outing this year.
Make sure to wear your really good merino wool socks and fleece wading pants. The water in Willow Springs might be a tad bit cool this time of year!
__________________
- David

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Logos, Trademarks are property of their owners. Other content Copyright 2006-2015 azflyandtie.com . All Rights Reserved.