Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Always Improving

Willow Springs is...

ICE FREE!

Friday afternoon I happened to be in the area, and took the short drive into the Day Use area (MP 284). Temps were in the low 50's around 3:00pm with light winds.

Went all the way to the end of the roadway, noting that all the snow/ice I saw on Tuesday was totally gone!

Walked down to the lake shore immediately adjacent to the parking area, finding a good put-in spot for my Caddis V-tube. Guess one could easily bring their tube, toon, kayak and/or canoe to the same spot...

While at the foot bridge on the southern end of the lake, I saw several rainbows actively feeding both above and below the bridge itself.

Kinda wished I followed that impression of bringing my fly rod...

Regardless, guess where I'm headed early next week?

"Mistakes do not define you...mistakes refine you"
Old 03-30-2019, 02:57 PM

Is the lake full ?
Old 03-30-2019, 11:54 PM

Yes, all the rim lakes are full.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:12 AM

I have been up to that parking area and fished from the shore on the west leg many times, but I have thought about trailing across the finger to the east leg of Willow Springs lake to see how it fishes and also because I figure there is less people that make it over to that side. Anyone else from the forum here that have ventured to the eastern leg?

Old 04-02-2019, 05:24 PM

I heard the main road to the boat ramp was opened today (April 2, so that's no April Fools joke).
Old 04-03-2019, 07:12 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying2Fly View Post
I have been up to that parking area and fished from the shore on the west leg many times, but I have thought about trailing across the finger to the east leg of Willow Springs lake to see how it fishes and also because I figure there is less people that make it over to that side. Anyone else from the forum here that have ventured to the eastern leg?
Years ago when we had our little 14' AlumaCraft, we would routinely venture into the eastern leg of Willow. Lots of BIG BOY largemouth bass and nice sized crappie in that section of the lake.

Since I have now focused on mainly trout fishing, and specifically Tigers, it's been a minute since I've floated into the eastern portion of Willow Springs. My focus has been on the western leg and shoreline, with very little bug tossing at or near the dam.

When we first started fishing WS in the very early 80's, I caught a brown or two just east of the dam, but nothing since.

Some of the biggest bass I've ever seen and/or caught were in the eastern finger. Definitely some brutes over there...

Old 04-03-2019, 07:20 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Lopez View Post
I heard the main road to the boat ramp was opened today (April 2, so that's no April Fools joke).
It wouldn't surprise me at all. From what I could tell, there was no real impediments keeping vehicles off that side of the lake. Think I'll take a ride later today...

Old 04-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by david vaughn View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all. From what I could tell, there was no real impediments keeping vehicles off that side of the lake. Think I'll take a ride later today...
Update - - - I can confirm that the main road into Willow Springs is in fact, open and the boat ramp is usable. However, I wouldn't recommend using the dock as it is roughly 25' away from the ramp.

Unless you're a really good long jumper, I would suggest not trying to use the dock at all...

Old 04-04-2019, 06:52 PM

OK, I got a Friday off (tomorrow ) so my plan is to head up to Willow Springs Lake for the day and see what I can do. I will most likely go where I usually do on this lake, but I might take a float-tube that I have had for a year now and it is still new and never in the water yet. Yet I might also venture to the east leg of the lake to try it out. Anyway it will be my 1st outing this year.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 AM
Always Improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tying2Fly View Post
OK, I got a Friday off (tomorrow ) so my plan is to head up to Willow Springs Lake for the day and see what I can do. I will most likely go where I usually do on this lake, but I might take a float-tube that I have had for a year now and it is still new and never in the water yet. Yet I might also venture to the east leg of the lake to try it out. Anyway it will be my 1st outing this year.
Make sure to wear your really good merino wool socks and fleece wading pants. The water in Willow Springs might be a tad bit cool this time of year!