Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Harvey Phineas Farkle > Fishin’ with Harvey P.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Sophomoric Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztightlines View Post

The industry wants more and more flyfishers, but do we need them for our sport to survive?
No way. That's one of the beautiful things about flyfishing: You don't need anyone or anything, but your rod and a creek. I love to fish with good friends and I love to guide people to success, but at the heart fly fishing is a very individual, personal, even introspective activity.

Not only could most of us be perfectly happy if there weren't another fly fisherman in the world, but many would prefer it. Who hasn't been envious of someone like Wilford Woodruff, recognized by some as the first flyfisherman west of the Mississippi? Sometimes we say we "had the whole river" to ourselves. For him it was actually true... headwater to confluence. I'm shocked to ever find a spot on the Provo where I can fish without company nowadays. For him it was never even a thought. Not to mention the fact that Utah lake was full of enormous native cutthroats instead of carp back then.

So, yeah, fly rod companies wouldn't be around. I definately couldn't be a guide. You'd probably have to roll your own bamboo, knot your own silk, and tie all your own flies... but doesn't that sound awesome???!!!

Not to say that there wouldn't be bait/lure fishermen still around, but I can think of plenty of incredible water where I only ever see fly fishermen. All would be MINE!!! Bwah ha ha!!!

So do we need them for the industry to survive? Yes. Do we need them for the sport to survive? No way. Each flyfisherman would just have to do what my sensei did: Find that one kid who was born with whatever it is that makes him instantly and completely addicted to the sport, and make him your prodigy.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Cool, I think we can separate the industry from the sport, though they are inextricably connected.

When you hang out your shingle, as a manufacturer, guide, lodge and/or flyshop owner, your perspective changes - even though you are first and foremost a flyfisher.

I think I see most of the good and bad of it all from my limited perspective, the rise of tailwater fishing accompanied by more anglers, we catch fish we only dreamed of many moons ago because of the available information and professional help.

We are losing something in this whole deal, I think MV hit it on the head talking about mentors: you don't need them to flyfish these days, but seek them out. Flyfishing schools, magazine articles, tv shows give us information, but they don't necessarily give us ethics.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:45 PM

I say it is too bad that we see all kinds of shows on fishing conventional stuff for bass, saltwater fishing or tournament bass fishing, but it apears there is none that focus on flyfishing. I once got a video from the library that was about flyfishing and it was excellent as it was not about the big open spaced flycasting on a open water like a lake or wide river, but instead was a flyfisherman walking up a forest creek showing how to fish the little pools or behind the big rocks where fish would be resting and so on. It was really good about where fish will be in creeks and small streams and I am thinking about looking for it again.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvtoro View Post
No way.<Snip>
This post is dead-nuts right on, IMHO.

I grew up in a family where fly-fishing was one of many kinds of fishing; minnow and bobber, salmon-egg and split shot, big bass plugs, trot-lines, cow-bells, all of which I enjoyed. Fly fishing became something special for me, but I could give a hoot if it is popular or not. The sport will never die because it has been written about more than any other kind of fishing and even if fly fishing died out for twenty years, somebody would read about it and have to try it.

When will you guys learn: Chip is always yanking our chain. Which is fine with me.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:46 AM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
I really don't care which way anyone fishes but let it be known that I will never fish that way or fish for any other species than trout. I find that each way of fishing has that special person who knows it well and makes them happy. So for what its worth, fish on in whatever style you like or love. For me there's nothing better then a long rod and flies I have tied and being by myself on a river or lake.

CHIEF
Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 PM
AZ Fly Fishing Guide

Send a message via AIM to Charlie
I personally think that it does not has to do with being a fly fishermen or a bait slinger..... It has to do with ethics.... and having a conscious... My dad taught me fishing at the age of 3, but I was too young to learn to fly fish, I was brought up on a Zebco rod and reel... I did not become a fly Fishermen until I was in my 20's.... However, my dad taught me how to be a proper fishermen, and RESPECT our fish and streams.... DO NOT GNERALIZE... It shows ignorants....

MY brother-in-law still bait slings, but, I respect him as a Fishermen... he knows how to fish, and what to use on a given day... He catches fish and obeys the laws....

The things Chip speaks of are general, and yes sometimes they do occur... however, not every bait fisherman is that way or fishes in that manner.... I know, I was a bait fisherman many moons ago...

What bothers me the most is garbage left behind, and that we can all work on!!!! That is not a "fishing thing", that is a human issue...... Being Courteous, and clean is something we all need to consider when fishing...

Fish and have fun doing it!!!