Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 08:55 AM

Invasive Species

This November, I will have lived in Gilbert for three years. In this time, I have collected as much information as I can about Arizona trout species. Much of it came by word of mouth.

The first thing I was told is there is no brown trout stocking in the state. The second thing is that sunfish and small mouth bass were illegally stocked. There are many bodies of water in AZ with small mouth and sunfish. Is AZ Game and fish now stocking these species.

A few weeks ago, I was fishing Tonto Creek with a friend. We were checked by a game warden. I asked the question about brown trout and sunfish. He said as far as he knows, there are no browns stocked and sunfish and small mouth were illegally stocked. I know some of these species can migrate from one area to another but with the number of places where they are found, statewide, was there an equivalent to "Johnny Appleseed" who went around the state illegally stocking fish?
Old 06-21-2019, 10:40 AM

The European brown trout is still stocked in AZ but not like the numbers of hatchery triploid rainbows of the NW USA. I know of someone who has illegally stocked N. Pike in AZ but he paid me off to keep quiet. The answer to your question is obviously YES.

Last edited by joe; 06-21-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:07 PM

Brown trout are stocked - as fingerlings - in Rose Canyon up in the Catalina Mts above Tucson.

I caught browns, though not many, in Riggs Flat Lake in the Pinalenos - above Safford, AZ - a few years back and assume they are still stocked there.

I was told by a person who stopped at Page Springs Hatchery in Cornville they raised brown trout there, and when he asked was told they were destined for a lake near Tucson..so it kind of makes sense.

Last edited by aztightlines; 06-21-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Brown Trout are still stocked. They are not stocked in Region 1 (White Mountains and above the Rim). Flagstaff, Tucson stocked Browns.

Sunfish is a general term for a multitude of species depending on where you are from originally. Green sunfish are not stocked. Redear Sunfish and Bluegill (commonly referred to as sunfish) are or have been stocked in various places.

As far as I know, Green Sunfish and Smallmouth were illegally introduced and actively removed in a number of places because of their effect on native fish (including native sportfish).

Game Wardens, or Wildlife Managers for AZGFD, are regionally based and usually know specifics about the region/district they manage. The same goes for fish biologists. What a fish biologist is doing in Region 2 is likely not something on the radar of a fish biologist from Region 5. There are biologists and coordinators out of headquarters in Phoenix that work on projects statewide.

Last edited by bgiordano; 06-25-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:42 PM

We lost our biologist, FishManager here on AZFAT, to retirement..so don't have the local information for Region 5 as readily as we did in the past.

Hope Don is doing well over there in Texas....pretty good bass fishing, from what I recall during my days in the 70's.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:23 PM

AZT,

Thanks

I did not know Don M. retired.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:39 AM

bgiordarno,

This is good information. My first summer here, my grandson and I rented a boat at Woods Canyon and fished for half a day. Both of us caught one tiger trout of about 10" and a handful of sunfish. I was disappointed because I like fishing on or near the surface. I had a lot of strikes from tiny sun fish. David Vaughn has since given me instructions on how to avoid the sun fish.