Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > The Fly Box > Fly Chat

Old 12-13-2017, 12:29 PM

UV Light

Don't want to hijack someone else's thread so I'll start a new one. I have used uv epoxies for awhile now. I originally started using Clear Cure Goo to get away from mixing 2 part epoxy and having to wait while the flies dryed on a DIY fly wheel and motor. Since then I've used Clear Cure Goo, Bug-Bond, and now Loon. I was using my old Bug-Bond UV light but over time it's taking more time to set the epoxy so I began looking for a new UV light. Setting UV epoxy is all about the wave length of the light. The tackiness of the hardened UV epoxy after it's been set is a function of the epoxy. UV lights sold exclusively for fly tying can get expensive... Just like parts for Jeeps and Harley's I think retailers do some price bumping when they cater to specialty groups. I decided to look at uv lights used in the finger nail industry and uv lights for scorpion hunters. What I settled on was a uv light from Esco Lite. The light has 52 UV LED's that's powered by 3 AA batteries. I got it off Amazon for $9.99 with free shipping and no tax. I've tried it with all three uv epoxies that I have (Clear Cure Goo, Bug-Bond, and Loon) and it's set all the epoxies within seconds on both thin and thick mixtures. Just wanted to let my fellow tyers know what I found. I have no financial interest blah, blah, blah...
Old 12-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Great information to know, I have a few things to glue that this would help greatly.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:16 AM

I have a pretty good light, but I always set things in the sunlight after hitting them with the uv to make sure they are thoroughly set. Haven't had any troubles, but have always wondered if setting them on the windowsill is as good as outside? Good to know about the Esco Lite.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 AM
t.craftsman f.k.a. shlitz

I too have found it best to just put the flies outdoors in the sunshine, tie another fly and switch them out. I will also use a scorpion flashlight. either or I suppose.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:04 AM

I make UV fly tying resin.

If you need to set your flies in the sun to cure, you bought the wrong resin. The resin you bought is repackaged resin that is meant for curing in commercial UV ovens.

I explain why these resins do not cure back in 2013 on this post:

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum....ss-t42837.html

Just for clarification.

The UV cured resins used for fly tying are acrylics and NOT epoxies. The reason for this clarification is that there are UV polyester epoxies. The difference is the process that the UV light initiates in the UV epoxies vs the acrylics. UV resins cure in two ways. There is cationic and radical curing.

The cationic resins are epoxies and once the process is started, it will continue until it is completely cured. All of them cure completely.

In an UV Epoxy, the photo-initiator when activated by UV light becomes a catalyst. So once activated, the entire material will cure. It may take some time but there is no way to stop the cure once the photo-initiator becomes a catalyst. This causes "Shadow Curing," a process by which the UV epoxy that is not exposed to UV light eventually cures.

The reason that UV acrylics are used in fly tying is to prevent the entire container of resin from curing if it is accidentally exposed to UV light.

I personally do not use a multi led light using alkaline AAA bateries. I don't care if it has 9 leds, 14 leds, 21 leds or even the 51 led lights. They are weak and not the best at curing fly tying resins. They have low power leds and the leds have abroad unfocused beam. The fastest way to cure these resins is with a focused beam flashlight using two CR123A lithium batteries. Multi led light on left, focused beam on right.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy