Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2017, 09:14 AM

San Juan River

Hey everyone!

My wife and I along with her parents are planning a trip to the San Juan River at the end of April beginning of May. We have never fished or stayed there and were looking for some general information about the trip. We are not looking for fishing techniques, just info on lodging and overall experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jake
Old 12-19-2017, 09:46 AM

As far as lodging goes - I like the Octagon house. Make sure to stay in the main house and not in the cabin. It's reasonable and has all the amenities of home.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:40 PM

I'd stay away from Abe's lodging. Not bashing them as I stay there from time to time and all the fly shops in the area are helpful, but it wouldn't be anywhere that I'd take the family. More of a troutbum kinda place. I also tend to stay in Bloomfield, which is only about 20 minutes away and gives people the opportunity to do other things if fishing isn't their forte.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFisher View Post
As far as lodging goes - I like the Octagon house. Make sure to stay in the main house and not in the cabin. It's reasonable and has all the amenities of home.
I too like the Octagon Inn. I actually like the cabin and have stayed there 3 times with a buddy. Full kitchen and one full bathroom with beds for 4 people. I think its perfect for a fishing trip. Longest time I’ve stayed there is one week and had no problems. You can load up on groceries in Aztec and you will be set.

Regarding the house, unless you book the entire house you will be sharing the common areas like the kitchen and living room with strangers. It’s like a B&B. If you get the cabin yes it’s smaller but it’s private.

Last edited by SAT; 12-19-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Recommend the Enchanted Hideaway. Stayed there many times and recommend the main house (Stone House). Also several other multi room condos. http://enchantedhideawaylodge.com/
Old 12-20-2017, 07:46 AM

Thank you for the replies! My wife ended up booking an Air BnB in the area right off the river. So now I guess it is time to start researching patterns and techniques to hopefully get everyone on some fish! My wife and father in law are experienced fly fisherman, so it should be a good trip!

Thank you!
Old 12-20-2017, 12:09 PM

One thing you should keep on eye on . . . depending on snow pack, etc. there will most likely be a "high flow" release sometime in late spring. Watch for announcements regarding dates and release plans. You might start seeing them in March / April.
It's not that you cant fish during the higher flows, but if wading was your plan, it might make you want to re-schedule.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:13 PM

You can get release plan info here: https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs/nvd.html
You can get real time and historic data here: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nm/nwis/u...cd=00065,00060
Here are a couple fishing report sites:
http://www.sanjuanriver.com/
http://www.sanjuanriverflies.com/Fis...s-Blog_c13.htm
Old 12-20-2017, 04:32 PM

Just to clarify, are you staying near the river in New Mexico below the reservoir, or will you be in Colorado (like Pagosa Springs)? Totally different river up there, and fishing also totally different.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:40 PM

We will be staying below the dam in New Mexico.