Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2016, 08:28 PM

I had the Korker Chromes and used them for 2 years. Towards the end of the two years the boa system would tighten on the right side of my boot and pull the center tongue crooked and not allow me to tighten the left side. I had no idea how the cables got off center but they did on both the left and right boot. I had just ordered the KGB when the heel knob that holds the soles tight to the heel of the boot broke on the Chromes.

I had really lost faith in the BOA system at that time and always brought a spare of old boots just in case the boa broke. I have only had the KGB's out for 7 fishing days but I really like them and the light weight support that they offer.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
I've snapped a too many laces. They don't last long. Throw some hockey laces on your boots. They last longer. Something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Hockey-.../dp/B010MAEDUU
Dang, that's a good idea!
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
Old 08-04-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjaywhatsup View Post
Just not grippy on standard dirt/rock?
Yes Jay. Sloped trail with wet, not quite muddy, soil and a healthy dose of pine needle cover.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLogik View Post
I had the BOA system on a pair of nice Salomon hiking shoes and didn't like it at all. Great at first but then they began to slip. Plus that loop hanging out always snagged things even when it was tucked in. I much prefer laces.

I have lace-up Korkers and like them ok but don't use them much unless I have to hike a good ways, then they come in handy with the swappable soles.

I always go back to my go-to boots the felt/studded Weinbrenners. Bullet proof, effective in all conditions and comfortable for all day use.
I think you may be referring to this - not BOA - style? Had it on a pair of Lafuma boots and yes it would snag easily...
Old 08-04-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdutchman View Post
Boa- didn't work In snowboarding, shouldn't be a thing in flyfishing. Tying your shoes isn't that hard..

Just my opinion..
Generally felt the same but BOA claims a more even pressure across the foot as evidenced but some heat sensing images, blah, blah,blah...

While it may be more even it still seems you are at the mercy of the system as to how it tightens vs a "customized tie" with laces.... I am intrigued though.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:37 AM

I bought the Simms vapor about a year and a half ago and within a couple months snagged the toe wrap (lateral) and the entire piece just ripped open. I looked down at them the other day while fishing and saw that both boots on both sides of the toe wraps have come completely undone. This seams like really bad craftsmanship and design for being one of, if not the top wading boot company. Really disappointed.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Sophomoric Member

I've used a lot of different boots over the last couple decades and have developed some definite preferences:

1) felt is great on the rocks. In terms of an unstudded sole it's probably the best on the rocks. But it sucks in other places. Rubber (even new super fancy rubber) is great on the trail and sandy/gravelly bottoms, but it just isn't as good on slick rocks.

My favorite sole material now is, by far, Studded Rubber soles. You need good studs and LOTS of them. With good studs I don't miss felt AT ALL. When I guide, I sometimes think that I wade so much better than my clients just from experience, and there is a lot to that, but if I ever have a pair of unstudded boots on for any reason I have to slow down and think about stepping more. I'm reminded that my gear is definitely playing a role too. Get extra studs.

2) BOA is a cool idea. If it fits your foot the way you like, then go for it. I still strongly prefer laces. I can't get the BOA as tight as I like my boots, especially down lower on the foot. I like to be able to tighten up my laces just how I like them. I do break laces (again, I like to tighten them up pretty good everytime) but I always carry a spare lace in my pack (it takes very little room). I love the idea of just switching out to Hockey laces. I'm going to try that.

3) Guides don't like metal between your feet and their boat. If you can help it, don't bring studded boots on a float trip. Some have mats. There are sandals that some guides have that actually go over your boots. But I know some guides who will just have you take off your boots in the boat and fish in your wader booties. This is the main reason I have a pair of unstudded boots.

So now I've got two main pairs of boots (I have lots of other stuff that doesn't get much use)

First a pair of Orvis Access boots. Rubber soles and studs. I use these 90% of the time. Love them and they've held up well. You can get them with BOA too, but I prefer laces.

Second is a pair of Korkers. These have a Boa and interchangeable soles. These are a back up and mostly just for fishing from a drift boat. works well for me because they're light and I can switch soles to studs if I really want to for getting out of the boat (but I usually don't). Also I don't mind what I perceive as diminished ankle support from the BOA because I'm mostly just in the boat. I swore off Korkers after buying their first generation of interchangeables because they SUCKED and the soles kept falling off. Newer ones have proven to be pretty good.

One more point: If your boots fit well you're whole life is better. But your wader's bootie is probably half of the equation for a good fit. First get waders that have a bootie that fits your foot right with room for the socks you'll need to use. Fit of the bootie in my opinion is more important than the rest of the dimensions in terms of comfort through the day. THEN try on boots with your feet in your waders with the socks you'll use.

Manifesto over.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Sophomoric Member

Also, getting very disappointed lately with Simms policies. They used to be the ultimate in terms of wading gear in my mind. Now I stay away for the most part. Orvis used the be a crap-fest in the wading department. Now I've found their sonic seam waders to be great (almost 3 years of fishing/guiding on my current pair and only one small barbed wire poke through the knee that took two drops of aquaseal to fix), and these Access boots have been really tuff too. Customer service is way better than Simms now.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:05 AM

I have the LLBean with the BOA. They are well constructed boots and the BOA has worked well for me, mostly at Lees Ferry. I was a little leery of the BOA because of all the sand at the Ferry, but I really like how easy it is tighten them up a little after you have been wading a while. That said, I don't really have that many hours in them because I have only been using them when fishing with a guide since I sprang for a pair of Patagonia Tractors, which are amazing, like 4WD for your feet and very well made. I wear the Tractors in my own boat (carefully) and can't really tell any damage to the floor, just some scratches. I wore felt Chotas with studs for years and really liked them, but I am sold on the soft aluminum bar thing.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:53 AM

Tons of great info fellas! I think I like the idea of the Tractors but don't think I'm going to go $280 right now... not when I can get a pair of G3s for $137 or use the KGBs I have in possession for $100. Also, while the BOA seems to have held up for most, I think - on this round - I'm going to go laces. The BOA associated with the Simms G4s (could get these as wellO has mixed reviews due to placement (offset to outside versus front placement) and, well, the KGBs I have are with laces.

Interesting... never thought this post would generate such a lengthy thread.

Thanks again!