Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 10:34 AM

In my experience, winds don't pick up till after lunch. If a canoe was used, would a possibility be taking a few days and doing all the float before lunch, then finding a camping spot after lunch and fishing there for the night?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:09 PM
Banned

II have fished the Ferry for 30 years and have never seen the water to where I would think it was remotely dangerous . If you can sit in a canoe w/o falling out in your yard you can float the Ferry .
Old 02-25-2016, 08:21 PM

Thank you guys for all your input. I plan on floating both the juan and lees ferry. I figured with all the input and research ill float the juan first in april so i can be more comfortable with my toon. Thanks again
Old 02-26-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangles View Post
II have fished the Ferry for 30 years and have never seen the water to where I would think it was remotely dangerous . If you can sit in a canoe w/o falling out in your yard you can float the Ferry .
I am not as experienced as you up there, but have seen the water pretty sketchy when it is windy. The stretch below 4-mile where the water is skinny comes to mind.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 AM

To Seldom's Point I've experienced 4-5 foot waves just below Ferry Swale.
To Nelly's point you can definitely float it in a canoe hoping for a breeze.

Sometimes its bluebird skies and dead calm and sometimes its seems like one would see a weatherman in a raincoat on the shore with a speed sign wiggling in the wind reporting on the oncoming hurricane.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed1 View Post
To Seldom's Point I've experienced 4-5 foot waves just below Ferry Swale.
To Nelly's point you can definitely float it in a canoe hoping for a breeze.

Sometimes its bluebird skies and dead calm and sometimes its seems like one would see a weatherman in a raincoat on the shore with a speed sign wiggling in the wind reporting on the oncoming hurricane.
I'd have to see it to believe it .
Old 02-26-2016, 11:25 PM

I've also fished the Ferry for 30+ years and bought a nice 16 foot Princecraft in 1995 primarily to get up river and I can guarantee you that if you fish the Ferry often enough you will see those 4-5 foot waves. They are much more likely in the spring but they can happen almost anytime and can come on quite quickly. Having said that I actually took a canoe up there myself a few years before I bought my boat but only got as far up as four mile and on that day there was no wind as I recall. I do think you would be OK as long as you remained vigilant and aware of the possibilities. In fact, I've seen people on the river in kayaks, canoes, even pontoons over the years but there is always some risk, especially with 55-60 degree water. I'm not positive but I believe the operators of those big rubber tour boats may even give you a ride up river for a fee since they always run empty going back up after dropping of their tourists at the ramp. Might be worth checking out. I believe you would be safe as long as you remained vigilant. Besides, being able to get up river and enjoy the beauty of the canyon is certainly worth the effort and with the fishing starting to improve you may even have some fish tales to tell.
Tightlines
Old 03-01-2016, 01:54 AM

Not to keep beating that dead horse, but I have also seen big standing waves at the Ferry, six mile canyon comes to mind. Water temps in Feb this year were 47-48 degrees. My Dad and I were fishing with a guide there one stormy day a couple of years ago when we came across a very wet couple with a big aluminum canoe that were sitting on the beach across the river from 6 mile camp drying out. They were lucky they had their gear tied down when they turned over. We loaded their canoe and all their gear in the guide boat and picked up their son who was struggling against the wind in a kayak a couple of miles down river and took them all back to the boat ramp. The guides are mostly (all?) Coast Guard captains and obligated by law to render assistance regardless of their clients. That said, if I didn't have a power boat, I'd use the back haul service and get upriver anyway I could.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:59 PM

I have a FlyCraft raft coming later this month (fingers crossed it arrives on time). If you are planning on going alone I would be willing to join...if you are interested. It will be me and my brother in law. We are planning on camping on the river Friday and Saturday. Targeting April 15-17 depending on weather and delivery of my new toy.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:38 PM

Right on Aztip. That area you referred to is called "the narrows" because of the sheer cliffs on both sides which obviously funnels any wind into a tight space creating those big waves. But we are also in agreement that whatever it takes to get up that awesome river is worth the risk as long as the person is aware of the possibility of the danger and stays tuned in and gets to shore if it starts to pick up.
Also, things could get really fun up there in a month or so. Spring is the best chance for some incredible dry fly fishing at the Ferry so be sure to have some griffith knats and hoppers, along with your standard zebras, scuds, sj worms, etc. But spring is also the most likely time to have to deal with the big winds.
Tightlines.