Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2016, 03:42 PM

Lees ferry float??

Last summer I made my first trip up to the ferry and spent three days at the campground. My buddy had his bass boat to get us up and down river and it was the absolute best fishing trip I have had to date. I now have a pontoon and want to do a back haul and mak a three day trip out of it but have heard it's not a good idea. I wanted to get some opinions/suggestions about a trip like this from some more experienced members. I am also open to other ideas of a few day float.

Last edited by mattjackson61; 02-15-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:36 PM

I've done this a couple of times. I think the biggest concern with a kickboat is the weight capacity--can you really lash all of your camping gear, food, fishing gear etc. with out exceeding the weight limit. Many of the lower end boats (Creek Company etc.) can't hold much excess weight with out the back end sinking. And even with the better kick boats, you are better off thinking "back packing" vs. "rafting" i.e. you need to keep your weight down. No dutch ovens, big ice chests etc.

Your best bet is to take a canoe or a small raft like a WaterMaster. I've successfully done both. I will stress that you probably need some experience in rafting/canoeing moving water before you try to run up the ferry. Spend a couple of afternoons floating the Salt river to get the hang of it.

I do know that some of the guides at Lee's Ferry are very negative about doing this, and in my experience there are folks who really shouldn't attempt it. However, if you are an experienced outdoorsman, have done some back packing, and are comfortable in moving water, this is really a pretty low risk activity.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:51 PM

Canoe! but be carful of the guides, they fly around the corners extremely fast.

Super fun trip, that kind of fishing/boating exposes you to so many rising fish.

"Flyfisherman are willing to work hard at anything that isn't important"
John Geirach
Old 02-16-2016, 03:45 AM

I really think a lot of the risk is weather related. On a calm day, you can float it in about anything. I've seen guys do it on inner tubes. Windy days are a different story, and if a real storm is moving through, boy I wouldn't want to be on that river in a kayak or canoe. So just use some common sense and the weather report and if you don't like the forecast you can always camp at the walk in.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjackson61 View Post
Last summer I made my first trip up to the ferry and spent three days at the campground. My buddy had his bass boat to get us up and down river and it was the absolute best fishing trip I have had to date. I now have a pontoon and want to do a back haul and mak a three day trip out of it but have heard it's not a good idea. I wanted to get some opinions/suggestions about a trip like this from some more experienced members. I am also open to other ideas of a few day float.
B.S. we have done many backhauls and floated with our pontoons. We pack our backpacking gear(I call it "Floatpacking") and spend 3 days floating down while camping at the campsites each night. In my opinion this is the best way to fish the Ferry. At least the most fun. Here is a photo essay of our last trip.

http://alexlandeen.com/2014/08/11/fa...rry-flotillas/

And Ben Smiths Write UP http://azwanderings.com/fly-fishing-...olorado-river/

Last edited by AzMandella; 02-16-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:08 AM

I was just looking at some other float trips and was interested in doing the juan and again wanted to see if anyone had experienced that trip.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjackson61 View Post
I was just looking at some other float trips and was interested in doing the juan and again wanted to see if anyone had experienced that trip.
I'm about to float the Juan this week in an 8 ft row boat...hopefully. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've taken it a few miles up the Ferry which I probably wouldn't do again due to the jet boats.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostlost View Post
I'm about to float the Juan this week in an 8 ft row boat...hopefully. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've taken it a few miles up the Ferry which I probably wouldn't do again due to the jet boats.
Ok cool thanks for the info! Looking forward to seeing your write up.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:55 PM

I've floated the San Juan from Texas hole to crusher hole several times in my Scadden one man pontoon. Very simple straight forward float. I get to access a lot more water than wading this way. Abe's has the number for the shuttle service I used. Very prompt and reliable folks. I'll be there next week, camping at Navajo Lake in my Casita trailer, fishing and floating. Anyone else fishing next week feel free to stop by for a beer around the fire in the evenings.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:33 PM

pfeffness

DO NOT do it in a canoe.....kayak yes, but I was blown off the river in a canoe and spent an uncomfortable night on the closest shore I could reach,which was a steep slope. As mentioned by others, the winds can be awesome.