Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Learning as we go

Lee's Ferry First-Timer

Hey guys I have the best dilemma a fly fisherman could ask for. For my birthday this year my wife said she wants to book a guided day of fly fishing on Lee's Ferry. The problem is I have lived in AZ my entire life and have been fishing for 20 years (4 of which with a fly rod) and never fished the Ferry before. I don't know anything about it other than pictures on here and "zebra midges and san juan worms". I have been onto a well put together website looking at rates for guided fishing, but I wanted to get your thoughts on how to make my first trip to the Ferry a successful one. What time of year is good to go? My birthday is in mid August but certainly don't have to go then. Has anyone stayed at Cliff Dwellers Lodge? Is there anywhere else to stay that is close to the boat launch? Thanks everyone!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:29 AM

Just do what the guide tells you. They know how to catch fish.

I didn't use the guide you're referring to but don't be afraid of August or wet wading. I went late July last year. 105. I didn't even take my waders out of the bag. Just wear long sleeve shirt large brimmed hat and one of those neck tubes. I fished for 14 hours on a Saturday and it was glorious.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:14 AM

I love the Ferry.
Lees Ferry Anglers. Call them. It will be HOT in August but so too can the fishing.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:08 PM

Good overview here: http://leesferry.com/fishing-info/

Your guide will also help you set the ideal rig for the given the conditions....can very considerably.

Do not forget
-green wolly buggers...they can save the day / slow times.
-wading staff...has radically improved my sucess up there.

Do not discount top-water action....last time I was there had the best sucess w/ Griffins Gnat in back-eddies.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:55 PM

LFA has a stable of awesome guides. The restaurant at Cliff Dweller's is good too. Cool fly shop to top it off.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:28 PM

There are two other lodges besides Cliff Dwellers in the area. Marble Canyon is right at the turn off to Lees Ferry and Vermilion Cliffs is about half way up the road to Cliff Dwellers. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Vermilion Cliffs if Cliff Dwellers is booked up, but the restaurant at Cliff Dwellers is better. Actually the rooms are nicer too now that they are mostly remodeled. I've never stayed at Marble Canyon. Also the fly shop is right there at the lodge. August is still pretty hot, but the fishing is usually good. The nicest times for weather are spring and fall.

Salty Skroob is nuts! That water is too cold for wet wading. I've done an extensive study on this and 48 degrees is exactly the right temperature for Guiness. I would definitely give the walk in a shot the day after your guide day. If nothing else it will improve your estimation of the guide.

I have a couple of vacation days to burn in August, so maybe I will see you up there. It's a great place and your wife will dig the scenery if she doesn't fish.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Learning as we go

Thanks for the input and suggestions guys. I booked a 2 night stay at Cliff Dwellers Lodge October 2nd & 3rd with a day of guided fishing with Terry Gunn on October 3rd. Looking forward to finally being baptized by the waters of the Ferry!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:03 PM

I hate to mention this, but just a heads-up that the ferry is in the desert zone for waterfowl and the season usually opens the first Friday in October, which falls on the second this year. It doesn't bother me (I do a little duck hunting myself) but the echoing shots are a negative for some people. There were a lot of ducks up there last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if opening weekend was popular. On the other hand, you're fishing with Terry so you will learn a lot and have a great time.

Last edited by aztip; 06-05-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:12 PM

I'm telling you, it felt so good wet wading in mid July. I was mid chest deep at 4 mile. I only go this way in the middle of summer. All other times it's too cold.

When I jumped all the way in around 4 pm that a little rough though.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Learning as we go

Thanks for the heads up aztip. A few shots ringing out isn't enough to keep me off the water. I'm sure I will get back up there at other times of the year. Hopefully next spring my father and I will make a trip to make some new memories. As always, tight lines fellas!