Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks for those suggestions. I'm going to call over to Dette's after the new year.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:41 PM
OLD FART

If I knew what materials you guys were looking for maybe I could help.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:48 PM

Wild Willy,

I'm just trying to source the right hooks for trout sized soft hackles. Also, I went through all my pheasants from SD and picked out the best two tails. Send me your address in a reply to the email I just sent ya and I'll get them in the mail tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:11 AM

I've been using the Alec Jackson Soft Hackle hooks in 11, 13, and 15. I have some 17's but I gave up on them the last time I went on a soft hackle bender. I'll probably try again sometime this winter. Those winged wets are lovely.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:08 PM
OLD FART

There are many beautiful feathers which can be used for soft hackle flies but many of them have fibers too long for the smaller flies. Here is my solution. Nothing original but since I am gettting bored with football I thought I would share what little I know.
It should be obvious that the grouse feather in the first pic has fibers too long for a soft hackle on a TMC 101 #16. I just stroke the fibers back from the tip until I have the volume I want, and tie in VERY close like 1/32" to the hook eye. Wiggle the fibers around the hook shank to spread them evenly, then wind the thread over the fibers until you get up to the hook eye.
Clip off the excess feather which can be saved for another fly, tie the body and ribbing of your choice, and advance the thread (12/0 works great) to just behind the hook eye.
I then use a small I.D. tube (tube for tying tube flies) just big enough to fit over the hook eye to push the fibers back away from the hook eye, grasp the fibers, remove the tube, and tie a small neat head.
A little practice with a few feathers before tying a complete fly should help

Last edited by WILDWILLY; 01-04-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: omission
Old 01-03-2015, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 PM

Thanks, I see how that could work. We have nylon air brake tubing at work that might sub for the tube. Maybe a big bead or conehead. I'm tying #6 and #8 heavily weighted ssl's this week.