Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Arizona Fly Fishing > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM

What is the status of this project? It sounds like many fine people are working on this and I applaud the efforts. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 PM

Most of the lakes posted are truly great opportunities but not set up for survival slash sustainability. Reason? easy access and too much pressure will ruin chances of its life span. Needs to be deep in country like a Pacheta in my opinion.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:28 PM

closing

Sad to see the Reno fly shop closing. Great guys and sweet tips for fishing Pyramid!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 PM
CHIEF

Send a message via ICQ to CHIEF
Trophy lake potential comes along every 2-3 years depending on winter, I wouldn't want any lake to hold the status as it just becomes another crowded lake....better to happen on its own....

CHIEF
Old 01-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Curious about fish and regs. Becker is now C&R only.....and I am glad. But...curious...I wonder how many times the same fish can be caught and released...before it succombs to the fishing pressure? I don't think they get overworked one day, then have a good nights sleep...and the next morning are totally recuperated, refreshed and ready to go for another round....

Just curious. I figure the fish on the short waters of Silver Creek, being only 1.25 miles fishable....get caught repeatedly...and just wonder about their survival...being caught and released so many times.....

Just wonder how many times a health trout can be caught and released before he goes belly up anyway....
Old 01-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Founding Member

Chief

Emerson...The reason WMLF was formed was to help AZG&F produce better habitat in our lakes....mainly the shallow weedy basin lakes like Crescent, Carnero, Luna, Mexican Hay, White Mountain and hopefully down the road, Sunrise. These lakes always are prone to winter and summer kill because of the nature of them being shallow. As you mentioned if we leave it to Mother Nature they will eventually die due to lack of oxygen, either from too much snow that kills the weeds in winter or too much algae and warm water in the summer. What if the weeds were reduced, the snow was removed in the winter (at least on some areas of the lake), aerators were introduced in the winter and possibly a sustainable fresh water source to keep the lakes oxygenated. This is what WMLF is all about.....keeping our fish alive so they can grow to maturity. Becker will be the first. As you said whenever a lake is good that season, it gets pounded. We do a second lake and then a third and so on and spread the pressure around. It can be done. I thought you were on board with this project, evidently not.
I hope I can see it happen

dub
Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 AM

I was looking at the new 2011 AZ fishing regulations, and noted this about Becker Lake.
" New Becker Lake Catch-and-release only for trout. Trout must be immediately
released unharmed; no trout may be kept; artificial fly and lure
only; single barbless hooks only." So this is a change from the 2010 regs that allowed a take limit of 2 fish. I would think this might reduce some of the pressure since it is C & R only now, and IF they post several signs around the lake informing the public of the new rules. Maybe even a few signs posting a Silent Witness Call in number to report illegal activity.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Founding Member

Tying2Fly

Tying2Fly.....there will be a campground host that will be there to monitor that the "C&R" reg is practiced as well as educate the public on safe, proper ways to handle fish before release. WMLF is donating $5K towards the project. Not exactly sure of the start date, but work will begin whenever the weather allows for some concrete pads for the hosts along with other facilities they will need.
If we can get Crescent online, there already is a store there that hasn't been in operation for a long time now. It used to sell fishing tackle, munchies and rent boats....but since Crescent isn't used that much anymore it has been out of commission.

dub
Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 AM

can WMLF do streams? I figure not.

but.....Silver Creek has done well. Before my time up here I think it was a pet project for the White Mountain Fly Fishing Club. I think they had the big pools dredged out for the fish.

My thinking is that Show Low Creek could become like Silver Creek. I believe no attempte has been made in the past because the mines had control of the water rights on Show Low Lake. Therefore we couldn't control the water flow into Show Low Creek.

But a couple of years ago the mines gave up the water rights to I believe the city of Show LOW. Anyway they gave them up to whom ever was challenging the for the rights.

So now WE the public should be able to control Show Low Creek! So why not make it a premium creek like Silver Creek? Take some pressure off SC. And be a wonderful boon to Show Low. Flows right through town. Near hotels..(come on in tourstis!)...

What a beautiful creek this could be....
Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Founding Member

Gemrod

Gemrod....Right now we are concentrating on lakes as we are just getting started up. We know we can aid these shallow lakes by doing some work. We will not just limit our projects to lakes in the White's. That is just a starting point, but we have to start somewhere. If you read back into some of the threads I posted before this was ever started, I reiterated about lakes on the rim, etc. Hopefully WMLF will last for decades and our kids and grandkids will determine which waters to work on. If we can determine that fishing can be improved on some of our streams, I can guarantee you WMLF will do whatever we can to help with the improvements.
AZ's streams are hit especially hard after low snowpack years and seem to always suffer at the end of summer with dewatering. I, personally don't know what can be done, except for possible dredging to make it possible to store more water. Bottom line is WMLF will do whatever we can to improve AZ's fishing OVERALL.

dub