Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > General Bass Discussion

Old 03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Tying and Fishing Nerd

Striped Bass

Ok, so I've heard that striped bass fishing will get better soon, and was going to try it. What do I need to know before going? Any tips on how to do this? I've already tied gurglers, clousers, decievers, epoxy minnows, mushmouths, and a few really cool EP minnows. All of my flies were basically designed around shad. Thanks for all responses, anything will help.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:51 PM

I am guessing that you are talking about heading to lake pleasant to target them? Powell, Havasu, the LoCo, where do you want to go? Pleasant is probably the easiest and closest... On the fly it can be tough but you are right, these fish should be thinking about coming in to spawn in the next month or so. At first light on a calm day, they can be seen daisy chaining in the middle of coves and are very easy to catch with a decently placed fly. In the Spring these fish emerge from the depths following the shad up in to the top half of the water column and can be found on many underwater reefs and mouths in to the different creek channels. Personally my favorite time to fish them is in the middle of the Summer. In July and August these fish school up very tight and blow up balls of shad for the last hour of two of daylight and also first thing in the morning. The shots can be fleeting and fast paced but very cool to get them up on the surface. Do you have any sort of boat, toon, tube? From shore it can be tough but you might think about heading up in to the River and trying that when it opens. Lots of White bass which can be a blast. Need more info on where you want to go and how you plan to fish for them (boat, toon, by foot off the shore) before I can suggest a whole lot more... Hope that helps a little.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM

flats man nailed it. it sounds to me like you have all the right flies.. you just need to be able to put yourself where the fish are..

like flats said the summer is the best time.. almost seems the hotter the day the better.. you see a boil. haul *** over to it.. cast in it.. strip your *** off and hold on.. the fish will hit.. and hit hard.

i know the big boys sit underneith the boils. let the little guys do the work.. wouldnt hurt to try letting your fly fall through the water column like a stunned shad would do. but.. I cant seem to get past the strip fast and hold on.. the funnest type of fishing IMO.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Tying and Fishing Nerd

Actually I will have a guide for lake pleasant.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Who are you fishing with?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 PM

Jon at Barrett Outfitters can put you on the stripers with a fly rig.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:08 AM

Flats Man is correct. I enjoy fishing Pleasant. The fish are still down deep. The water needs to warm up a few degrees and the fishing should really turn on. I have a new switch rod and should be able to cover more water.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 AM

The fish are all hugging the bottom right now, in 50 to 80 feet of water. Every once in a while you can pick off a cruiser however the bite really hasnt turned on yet for stripers unless you are willing to hit deep water with spoons. Anchovie fisherman are getting into stripers by camping on schools and hitting them with bait...Not my thing at all. So for Fly fishing I would say the best times for pleasant's striper/white and LM fishing will be in lower water conditions - typically Mid summer through December. Thats when you can expect to have a shot at lots of fish on the fly. lower water conditions(summer-early winter) concentrate the shad more and in turn preditors.
Right now the lake is still rising up to 3 feet a week - fishing is really tough this time of year. Still fun but much slower in general. Plus there's a huge shad population out there and the fish dont have to search hard for food in the shallows yet.

Rhomers Diamond hair streamer, clousers and any shad looking pattern will work great - its more about size than color at times. Intermediate sink tip line is a good all around choice with florocarbon leader/tippett. Contrary to popular belief the fish in Pleasant are all wild and very line shy, at least the larger ones. longer leaders, flourocarbon tippett and stealth will pay off. Retrieve varies, sometimes they want it scorching through the water, other times twitched. Colors for plez or any AZ lake really will be white/Chartruese, Shad, white/olive and plain white.

This has been my experiance on plez anyway, its a great lake however this year its been really off in general and tough fishing.

Jon

Life is Hard, Fish Now!

Jon
Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Tying and Fishing Nerd

So how long of a leader?And i'm guessing tippet size is 3x
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super fly View Post
So how long of a leader?And i'm guessing tippet size is 3x
This time of year I Use the longest leader/tippett combo you can cast and get turn over of the fly.
3 X is a good starting point, much depends on water clarity where you are fishing.

Life is Hard, Fish Now!

Jon