Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > General Bass Discussion

Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
How do you keep it straight? Mine tends to kind of go wherever the current flows, so it bends a lot.

You're a bad person.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 PM

You want a leader that will stay straigh the entrie time it lays on water that is moved by current flow? Get a 110 yds of Sufix mono 2.00 mm leader spool.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Jason,

I use the leader for pond fishing BGs and bass, no current.

JD

Last edited by joe; 10-14-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the ideas everyone, think I will try making a furled leader. Found a ton of stuff online about how to make furled leaders, some simple and some quite complicated. So I'm off to Home Depot to make a furling board, Since the fishing was lousy at the Salt yesterday, this and some tasty beverages will be my project for the day.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Fluro swivels are at Feathercraft.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:04 PM

I save all of my trout leaders when they get too short. A 9' 5x tapered leader cut down to 5-6' works great for big topwater bass flies.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Wink Topwater bass leader

For me there really is not one do it all leader formula for throwing topwater bass flies and I would hate to be limited to just one formula. Some considerations I keep in mind are:

Is a weedless design necessary? i.e smooth knots that move through cover?
Size of fly and weight of fly when wet?
If casting into cover is this cover tough on leaders?
Do I want my leader to sink or float? (Mono or flouro)

Here is a very effective and versatile Bass leader formula to use for throwing bulky/wind resistant topwater fllies. You can apply this whether you throw a 5wt or a 10 wt. Here is an example I use on my 10wt which is my go to topwater rod for most LMB fishing

9ft leader with a 50%/30%/20% formula

Build your butt section with a diameter of roughtly 75% of the tip diameter of your fly line. The butt section should be 50% of the total leader length. In this case I am using . 029 for the butt section which is 75% of the tip diameter of my fly line.

Step down your mid section very abrupty in 1 ft sections. I am using 1ft setions of .027, .025 & .023. Use blood knots for all these connections.

For the tippet I prefer flourocarbon for poppers and divers as it helps the pattern chug or dive better. If I am fishing a slider or a pattern that is designed to walk the dog on the surface then i will use mono as apply flaotent to the leaderto get the correct action. Attach 18" of 20# flouro using an improved blood not as your tippet to mid section wiill almost always be greater than a .02 difference. Do thhis same if this difference applies to the mono tippet you may be using.

Furled leaders work very well too but are not customizabble in the field unless you bring differenlt lengths with you and want to change out leaders for different conditions.

My .02
Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 AM

Very Good Two Cents worth of advise.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 PM

Another Option

I've used these for Missouri Bass and Pan Fish for awhile now. I'm not as advanced as many here, but they seem to work well with my 5 wt. And this is a good shop, I bought my rod and reel there and they have a solid reputation in St. Louis. Hope it helps.

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...y&target=GD001
Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 PM

Flyover,

Does anyone sell those poly leaders locally??????? I have heard of them before.