Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > General Bass Discussion

Old 10-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Making your own bass leaders.

Anyone have some advice for tying your own leaders for those funky bass flies? I am finding a knot- less taper are kind of ok if you are throwing one average size fly. I am having good results with a large attractor and a pretty large dropper, bigger fly = bigger bass. My problem is that this kind of rig is real heavy, and wind resistant and does not unfold well, even when cast with an 8wt. I would like to know if any of you have come up with some solutions, I get alot of wind knots and poor presentations with knot-less tapers, plus they cost alot compared with tying your own.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Trout Bum In Training

I just use straight 8 lbs. test.... You don't need a tapered for bass fishing they aren't leader shy and it's much less time consuming and expensive to just cut off 5 feet of line and fish.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CPTxKIRK
I use a furled leader and then tie on 1-2ft of 2x tippet! There are some people on this forum who know how to tie furled leaders, and can do so for pretty cheap. I was running into this same problem, and furled leaders ended up turning over the flies real well on my 5wt.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:27 PM

You can build your own leaders - sometimes you have to - by taking spools of butt section material (.025 or more) and taper it down a few times.

Keep in mind most leaders are proportioned: 1/3 butt section; 1/3 taper section ; 1/3 tippet section.

You can research various formulae online, but if you invest in different diameter tippet spools you can tie a lot of leaders, and hone in on the conditions you will be facing - lots of weeds, large, wind-resistant flies, sinktip and sinking lines (shorter leaders), more delicate (rarely needed), etc.

Bass are not ususally leader-shy, keep that in mind, so err on the side of heavier rather than lighter.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:18 PM

its escaping me right now.. but there is a company that makes flouro swivels.. could be sweet on your furled leaders, since you use swivels jason. ill dig around and see if I can find them .
Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 PM

Here are a couple of knotted leader fromula's that I have tried. They are not my own creations.
.030----43 inches
.028----13 inches
.022----09 inches
.019----07 inches
.017----03 inches
.014----12 inches
does a good job with bass bugs

Mono leader in pound test (lots of these on the net)
I use Maxima, but spinning mono will do.
40lb---53 inches
30lb---32 inches
20lb---20 inches
12lb---18 to 30 inches
When a lighter tippet of 10lb to 8 lb is needed make the 12lb section 12 inches in length.

Simple leader is:
30lb mono-----3ft
20lb mono-----1ft
10lb-15lb tippet---1ft to 3 ft
Pretty good leader when fish are not leader shy. Plus a pretty good heavy cover leader.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:24 PM

found it! Aquateko.com
Old 10-14-2011, 02:34 PM

I think that with bass leaders you don't need to tie so many sections.

Kelly Gallup just uses 12" of 20# green Maxima for the butt section and 18" of 12# for chucking big streamers on a 6 wt. I've been thinking of messing with that formula to see if it can be a bit longer. He does say that some times when tossing smaller bugs (small to him is a #6) he will add some 8# on the end.

So basically it's just kind of a compromise between the complicated leader formulas and straight Mono. You only have one, maybe two step downs.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:34 PM

If you're doing thick weeds go 3ft 40 lb,3ft 30 lb,3ft 20lb. you don't want it much longer than that or it won't turn over a frog very well and with 20 lb test it doesn't matter how thick the weeds are.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM

I use 7feet of straight 8lb. test