Arizona Fly Fishing Forums  

Go Back   Arizona Fly Fishing Forums > Bass on the Fly > General Bass Discussion

Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 AM

Lake pleasant

I've been fishing Pleasant lately, guide trips, tournaments and on my own... Not seeing many fish on beds at all, and even better is that there are more fish in post spawn patterns. They are protecting fry in the shallows and also waiting for the shad to come shallow and begin their spawn. Fish in the 1.5-4 pound range can be found tucked under submerged trees. The ones with green leaves seem to be preferred by the fish. Conventional tackle guys are doing good with pitching Yamamoto senkos in watermelon colors into these bushes. Yesterday I spent the morning dialing in a new fly that imitates the senko's look and most importantly, it's presentation. The "salt free salchicha" This is a 5-6 inch fly made from super hair in olive, I tie a large clump on the rear of the hook, coat about a quarter inch with softex, then dip the tail into the softex jar for a little less than a half inch. This gives it a slug appearance and some weight in the rear. The latest version has 10 wraps of lead around the hook shank and also two steel wire weed guards. The fly has a nice rate of sink, and by keeping tight on the line, it keeps the fly sinking horizontally. The hits come either on the fall or by sloooowly stripping through the brush. Once it gets away from the target recast to a new bush, no need to spend time working the fly back. You'll do better by covering as much water as possible, finding fish. I tie plenty of these before a trip because just like the real senko, these flies get beat up by the sticks and more durability leads to less fishy action....at least they are cheap and easy! Found good fishing at the mouth of Cole's bay and in the back of humbug there are plenty of submerged trees also.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM

Great post Manny - the "salt free Salchica" sounds awesome!

Life is Hard, Fish Now!

Jon
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Flying Monkey

I'd like to see a pic of that fly. Thanks for the info.